all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* server-save-buffers-kill-terminal: Invalid client frame
@ 2017-04-28  6:11 Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2017-04-28  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I must have broken something in my emacs init and cannot exactly recall how
I did it...

Emacs tells me "server-save-buffers-kill-terminal: Invalid client frame"
when i want to call save-buffers-kill-terminal. I don't know about this
function and have tried to find something similar using some search engine
with no luck. I have also edebugged the function
server-save-buffers-kill-terminal which looks like this:

(defun server-save-buffers-kill-terminal (arg)
  ;; Called from save-buffers-kill-terminal in files.el.
  "Offer to save each buffer, then kill the current client.
With ARG non-nil, silently save all file-visiting buffers, then kill.

If emacsclient was started with a list of filenames to edit, then
only these files will be asked to be saved."
  (let ((proc (frame-parameter nil 'client)))
    (cond ((eq proc 'nowait)
       ;; Nowait frames have no client buffer list.
       (if (cdr (frame-list))
           (progn (save-some-buffers arg)
              (delete-frame))
         ;; If we're the last frame standing, kill Emacs.
         (save-buffers-kill-emacs arg)))
      ((processp proc)
       (let ((buffers (process-get proc 'buffers)))
         ;; If client is bufferless, emulate a normal Emacs exit
         ;; and offer to save all buffers.  Otherwise, offer to
         ;; save only the buffers belonging to the client.
         (save-some-buffers
          arg (if buffers
              (lambda () (memq (current-buffer) buffers))
            t))
         (server-delete-client proc)))
      (t (error "Invalid client frame")))))

In this function (frame-parameter nil 'client) evaluates into "Unprintable
entity". So the cond form goes into the default case and signals an error
"Invalid client frame".

Question is: How can I fix it...

Matthias

* Re: server-save-buffers-kill-terminal: Invalid client frame
@ 2017-04-28  6:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-04-28  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 08:11:17 +0200
>
> Emacs tells me "server-save-buffers-kill-terminal: Invalid client frame"
> when i want to call save-buffers-kill-terminal. I don't know about this
> function and have tried to find something similar using some search engine
> with no luck. I have also edebugged the function
> server-save-buffers-kill-terminal which looks like this:
> [...]
> In this function (frame-parameter nil 'client) evaluates into "Unprintable
> entity". So the cond form goes into the default case and signals an error
> "Invalid client frame".
>
> Question is: How can I fix it...

It's hard to suggest a fix when the root cause is unknown.  What
command do you invoke that triggers this error message?

I suggest to set debug-on-entry for this function, then do whatever
you do to trigger the error, and look at the backtrace.  The backtrace
already could tell you what is causing this, but if you cannot figure
that out, I suggest to post the backtrace here, and maybe someone else
will.

* Re: server-save-buffers-kill-terminal: Invalid client frame
@ 2017-05-04 12:12   ` Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2017-05-04 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I don't konw how, but the message does not appear any longer.