all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-02  2:28 shannleon
From: shannleon @ 2017-12-02  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to use \subsetneqq command in Org-mode and make it be rendered correctly when export to HTML?

LaTeX export just fine. But Html output says "Undefined control sequence \subsetneqq"

Thanks, I know my English sucks, sorry about that.

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-02  2:54 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-12-02  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: shannleon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

shannleon@gmail.com writes:

> How to use \subsetneqq command in Org-mode and make it be
> rendered
> correctly when export to HTML?
>
> LaTeX export just fine. But Html output says "Undefined control
> sequence \subsetneqq"

\subsetneqq is a TeX command, not something that's part of Org. To
add
that symbol, which i believe is Unicode SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL
TO,
you can either enter it directly into a buffer by typing:

    C-x 8 RET SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL TO

or by typing:

    ⫋

which is an HTML character entity referring to that character.

Alexis.

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-02  3:49   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-12-02  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, shannleon

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 9:56 PM Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:

> \subsetneqq is a TeX command, not something that's part of Org.

Try emailing emacs-orgmode@gnu.org and see if this is something that can be
added to Org entities. I have seen that Org entities includes many of the
LaTeX supported symbols with the same syntax for many cases.

You can do M-x org-entities-help and see the symbols currently supported.

> add
> that symbol, which i believe is Unicode SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL
> TO,
> you can either enter it directly into a buffer by typing:
>
>     C-x 8 RET SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL TO
>
> or by typing:
>
>     &#x2ACB;
>
> which is an HTML character entity referring to that character.

That's another way :)

Just to add a bit more to that.. if you are able to copy the symbol from
somewhere to emacs and you want to know what it's called (like, SUBSET OF
ABOVE NOT EQUAL TO in this case), put the cursor on that symbol and do C-u
C-x =.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-02 22:43     ` 杨劲松
From: 杨劲松 @ 2017-12-02 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Alexis

Thank you Alexis and Kaushal. I might mislead you.

I am writing some short articles which includes a lot of Math formula. So I
include LaTeX command here and there like $A \subset B$. Most symbol
display OK when exporting to HTML. But the \subsetneqq not. Same article,
Html couldn't handle $\subsetneqq$ and display "Undefined control sequence
\subsetneqq" in final render. But display in PDF output correctly.

I guess this problem relates to MathJax and did a little googling  last day
but didn't find the solution.

[image: 2017-12-03 06-38-24 的屏幕截图.png]

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>于2017年12月2日周六 上午11:49写道:

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 9:56 PM Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> \subsetneqq is a TeX command, not something that's part of Org.
>

> Try emailing emacs-orgmode@gnu.org and see if this is something that can
> be added to Org entities. I have seen that Org entities includes many of
> the LaTeX supported symbols with the same syntax for many cases.
>
> You can do M-x org-entities-help and see the symbols currently supported.

>> add
>> that symbol, which i believe is Unicode SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL
>> TO,
>> you can either enter it directly into a buffer by typing:
>>
>>     C-x 8 RET SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL TO
>>
>> or by typing:
>>
>>     &#x2ACB;
>>
>> which is an HTML character entity referring to that character.
>>

> That's another way :)
>
> Just to add a bit more to that.. if you are able to copy the symbol from
> somewhere to emacs and you want to know what it's called (like, SUBSET OF
> ABOVE NOT EQUAL TO in this case), put the cursor on that symbol and do C-u
> C-x =.
> --
>
> Kaushal Modi

[-- Attachment #2: 2017-12-03 06-38-24 的屏幕截图.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 70458 bytes --]

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-03  0:44       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-12-03  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 杨劲松; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

杨劲松 <shannleon@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you Alexis and Kaushal. I might mislead you.
>
> I am writing some short articles which includes a lot of Math
> formula. So I include LaTeX command here and there like $A
> \subset
> B$. Most symbol display OK when exporting to HTML. But the
> \subsetneqq
> not. Same article, Html couldn't handle $\subsetneqq$ and
> display
> "Undefined control sequence \subsetneqq" in final render. But
> display
> in PDF output correctly.

Yes, because as we noted, \subsetneqq is not a LaTeX command that
Org
understands. When exporting to PDF, your article gets processed by
LaTeX program (e.g. pdflatex; but it might be something different
on
your system), which understands what \subseqneqq is, so it's able
produce the correct output in the PDF. But when exporting to HTML,
as
explained by Kaushal, exporting uses a list built-in to Org (which
you
can view with M-x org-entities-help) in order to produce HTML
output. It
seems most of the math symbols you use are in that list, but
\subsetneqq
is not, so you don't get the correct symbol in your output.

Thus, Kaushal suggested that you send an email to the Org people
asking
if \subsetneqq can be added to the list. In the meantime, however,
you
can simply add the symbol directly into your article, by using the
method i described; instead of typing \subsetneqq, type:

    C-x 8 RET SUBSET OF ABOVE NOT EQUAL

which will insert the symbol into your article. Whether it
displays in
your Emacs buffer depends on whether the font you use in Emacs
includes
that symbol. Also note that whether it displays in a browser will
depend
on whether the user viewing it is using a font that includes that
symbol.

Hope that makes things clearer!

Alexis.

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-03  1:04         ` 杨劲松
From: 杨劲松 @ 2017-12-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

But org mode use mathjax to generate HTML output that contains math Fumulas
and mathjax does support that symbol in its AMSsymbol extension. What's
different the mathjax org mode using and the 'MathJax' ?

@ 2017-12-03  1:30           ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-12-03  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 杨劲松; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

杨劲松 <shannleon@gmail.com> writes:

> But org mode use mathjax to generate HTML output that contains
> math
> Fumulas and mathjax does support that symbol in its AMSsymbol
> extension. What's different the mathjax org mode using and the
> 'MathJax' ?

Ah, i didn't realise Org was now able to use MathJax directly,
sorry
.... i've not had any experience with that. If Kaushal isn't able
help further, maybe you can ask for help on the Org mailing list:

Sorry for not being able to help further!

Alexis.

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-03  1:40             ` 杨劲松
From: 杨劲松 @ 2017-12-03  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

No problem, thanks!

@ 2017-12-05  3:29               ` 杨劲松
From: 杨劲松 @ 2017-12-05  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

Ok, now I know where the problem is.

The 'MathJax.js' Org mode using is little different than the 'Real MathJax'
;-)
Today I replaced the string org mode inserted to the HTML file:

From:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://orgmode.org/mathjax/MathJax.js
"></script>
To:
<script src='
https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.2/MathJax.js?config=TeX-MML-AM_CHTML
'></script>

And every thing works! Every single symbol displayed correctly. So simple!

杨劲松 <shannleon@gmail.com>于2017年12月3日周日 上午9:40写道:

@ 2017-12-05 17:35                 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-12-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 杨劲松; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Alexis

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:29 PM 杨劲松 <shannleon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, now I know where the problem is.
>
> The 'MathJax.js' Org mode using is little different than the 'Real
> MathJax' ;-)

OK, http://orgmode.org/mathjax/MathJax.js is also "real" mathjax but a very
old version (version 1.0.1).

You shouldn't need to specify the mathjax.js path if using the latest
stable release of Org mode (9.1.3 (9.1.4 got released just today)) and
using HTML export. That version uses MathJax.js version 2.7.0 which is not
too old.

The default value of org-html-mathjax-options is

((path
 "
https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.0/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS_HTML
")
 (scale "100") (align "center") (font "TeX") (linebreaks "false")
(autonumber
 "AMS") (indent "0em") (multlinewidth "85%") (tagindent ".8em") (tagside
 "right"))

as defined in ox-html.el.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: How to use \subsetneqq in Org-mode?
@ 2017-12-05 22:45                   ` 杨劲松
From: 杨劲松 @ 2017-12-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Alexis

The org mode version is 8.2.10 which integrated with Emacs.  I download a
MathJax local copy and add
#+HTML_MATHJAX:path:"../mathjax...mathjax.js?config= TeX-MML-AM_CHTML" to
the document, and it works.

Thank you all. The problem is solved :)

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>于2017年12月6日周三 上午1:36写道:

@ 2017-12-06  3:28                 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-12-06  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 杨劲松; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Kaushal Modi

杨劲松 <shannleon@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, now I know where the problem is.
>
> The 'MathJax.js' Org mode using is little different than the
> 'Real MathJax'
> ;-)
> Today I replaced the string org mode inserted to the HTML file:
>
> From:
> <script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://orgmode.org/mathjax/MathJax.js
> "></script>
> To:
> <script src='
> https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.2/MathJax.js?config=TeX-MML-AM_CHTML
> '></script>
>
> And every thing works! Every single symbol displayed
> correctly. So simple!

Great! Glad you've got it working. :-)

Also: thank you for reporting back on how you fixed the problem!
It's so
frustrating to search for information about a problem online, find
that
someone else has had the exact same problem, but then find that
they've
said "Nevermind, I fixed it", without giving any details .... So
hopefully the fact that you've posted your solution here will help
others in the future. :-)

Alexis.