all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit-status is slow
@ 2018-06-11 15:10 Lajos Bodnar
From: Lajos Bodnar @ 2018-06-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I have 200 files after refactoring and the magit is too slow.
I found that the diff is slow because the magit-status create diffing view
every modified files.
How can I reach that the magit-state create diffing view just when I work
with these files when I use the tab key to watch what the change was.

Or any ideas ?

have a good day
Lajos

* Re: magit-status is slow
@ 2018-06-11 16:02 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lajos Bodnar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-06-11, at 17:10, Lajos Bodnar <bodnarlajoska@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have 200 files after refactoring and the magit is too slow.
> I found that the diff is slow because the magit-status create diffing view
> every modified files.
> How can I reach that the magit-state create diffing view just when I work
> with these files when I use the tab key to watch what the change was.
>
> Or any ideas ?

It's a long shot, but do you have something like

(setq magit-diff-refine-hunk t)

in your init.el?  If yes, try disabling this.  (You can also press
D t in magit fir that.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: magit-status is slow
@ 2018-06-12  9:06   ` Lajos Bodnar
From: Lajos Bodnar @ 2018-06-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the answer.
There are these lines in my init.el and a little better than before but
there is few freeze when I scrolling up or down ...

(defun start-magit()
  (interactive)
  (magit-status)
  (delete-other-windows))
(setq git-commit-summary-max-length 120)
(setq magit-diff-highlight-indentation nil)
(setq magit-diff-highlight-trailing nil)
(setq magit-diff-paint-whitespace nil)
(setq magit-diff-highlight-hunk-body nil)
(setq magit-diff-refine-hunk nil)

have a nice day
Lajos

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> On 2018-06-11, at 17:10, Lajos Bodnar <bodnarlajoska@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have 200 files after refactoring and the magit is too slow.
> > I found that the diff is slow because the magit-status create diffing
> view
> > every modified files.
> > How can I reach that the magit-state create diffing view just when I work
> > with these files when I use the tab key to watch what the change was.
> >
> > Or any ideas ?
>
> It's a long shot, but do you have something like
>
> (setq magit-diff-refine-hunk t)
>
> in your init.el?  If yes, try disabling this.  (You can also press
> D t in magit fir that.)
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Marcin Borkowski
> http://mbork.pl

* Re: magit-status is slow
@ 2018-06-15  4:53     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2018-06-15  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lajos Bodnar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-06-12, at 11:06, Lajos Bodnar <bodnarlajoska@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.
> There are these lines in my init.el and a little better than before but
> there is few freeze when I scrolling up or down ...

Well, in that case I don't know what the reason is.  Maybe you could try
profiling...

BTW, is (delete-other-windows) really necessary?  Isn't this better?

(setq magit-display-buffer-function
      #'magit-display-buffer-fullframe-status-v1)

Also, I find (setq git-commit-summary-max-length 120) really large.  Are
you sure you want that?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: magit-status is slow
@ 2018-06-19 19:51       ` Lajos Bodnar
From: Lajos Bodnar @ 2018-06-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski, help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I fixed according to your suggestion and it seems working like a charm :)
thanks a lot
Lajos