all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs-25.2 configuration problems
@ 2017-06-23 15:16 Richard Melville
From: Richard Melville @ 2017-06-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm building a system without X windows.  I've already built and installed
ImageMagick-6.9.8-10 (avoiding ImageMagick-7) and most of the image
libraries, however, I still can't get Emacs to configure with ImageMagick
support.  It doesn't build with support for the image libraries either,
other than libjpeg.  Is this because I don't have the xorg libraries
instralled?  If so, this seems unreasonable.  Is there a way around it?

TIA

Richard

* Re: Emacs-25.2 configuration problems
@ 2017-06-27  7:59 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-06-27  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Melville; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Melville <6tricky9@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm building a system without X windows.  I've already built and
> installed ImageMagick-6.9.8-10 (avoiding ImageMagick-7) and most
> of
> the image libraries, however, I still can't get Emacs to
> configure
> with ImageMagick support.  It doesn't build with support for the
> image
> libraries either, other than libjpeg.  Is this because I don't
> have
> the xorg libraries instralled?

It might well be; on my Debian Stretch x86_64 system, the
ImageMagick 6
library itself requires X libraries such as libX11 and
libXext. You can
find out which libraries your ImageMagick install requires by
doing
something like:

$ objdump -x /path/to/ImageMagick/library.so | grep NEEDED

On the other hand, libjpeg, on my system, only requires libc.

> If so, this seems unreasonable.  Is there a way around it?

Given the above, this might be a question best asked of the
developers
of the various image libraries you're having issues with.

Alexis.