all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changes not staged for commit with current master
@ 2017-08-07  7:59 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2017-08-07  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

git status for master currently tells me

Changes not staged for commit:
   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

	deleted:    src/bitmaps/README
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/cntrpmsk.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/cntrptr.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/crosswv.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/dimple1.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/dimple3.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/gray.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/gray1.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/gray3.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/leftpmsk.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/leftptr.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/rtpmsk.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/rtptr.xbm
	deleted:    src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm

What am I supposed to do with them?

TIA, martin

* Re: Changes not staged for commit with current master
@ 2017-08-07  9:26 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2017-08-07  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM, martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
> git status for master currently tells me
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>
>         deleted:    src/bitmaps/README
[…]
>         deleted:    src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm

Git is saying that your working tree is missing several files that are
present in the repository revision.

> What am I supposed to do with them?

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If you want to author a commit that deletes these files:

    …/emacs$ git rm src/bitmaps/README […] src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm
    …/emacs$ git commit -m […commit message…]

Alternatively, if you deleted them accidentally (or they got deleted
and you do not know why), you can restore them this way:

    …/emacs$ git checkout -- src/bitmaps/README […] src/bitmaps/stipple.xbm

Or, if you do not have any work in progress, you can reset your
working copy to the state of the current revision:

    …/emacs$ git reset --hard

* Re: Changes not staged for commit with current master
@ 2017-08-07 10:39   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2017-08-07 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > Alternatively, if you deleted them accidentally (or they got deleted
 > and you do not know why), you can restore them this way:

I must have deleted this directory when I cleaned up those .deps files
recently.  Messing with git-ignored files can be hazardous.

 > Or, if you do not have any work in progress, you can reset your
 > working copy to the state of the current revision:
 >
 >      …/emacs$ git reset --hard

That's what I've done now.

Thank you very much for the prompt help, martin