all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
@ 2018-05-29 18:06 David Vicente
From: David Vicente @ 2018-05-29 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I have libgnutls30 and gnutls-bin installed on my machine (Debian), but when I run ./configure it says

configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
      gnutls

does anyone know how to fix this?

* Re: Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
@ 2018-05-29 18:36 ` Noam Postavsky
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-05-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Vicente; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 29 May 2018 at 14:06, David Vicente <djmvicente@outlook.com> wrote:
> I have libgnutls30 and gnutls-bin installed on my machine (Debian), but when I run ./configure it says
>
> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>       gnutls
>
> does anyone know how to fix this?

You need to install the package with library headers, it should be
named something like libgnutls-dev.

* Re: Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
@ 2018-05-29 18:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Vicente <djmvicente@outlook.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 18:06:38 +0000
>
> I have libgnutls30 and gnutls-bin installed on my machine (Debian), but when I run ./configure it says
>
> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>       gnutls
>
> does anyone know how to fix this?

Look in config.log for the detailed error messages related to this.
If that gives no clues, post that part of config.log here.

Btw, you are running the configure script from which version of Emacs?

* Re: Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
@ 2018-05-29 18:48 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2018-05-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

HI,

On 05/29/2018 02:06 PM, David Vicente wrote:
> I have libgnutls30 and gnutls-bin installed on my machine (Debian), but when I run ./configure it says
>
> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>        gnutls
>
> does anyone know how to fix this?

I built emacs 27 on stretch. As I recall I had to install -dev files
associated with gnutls, e.g. libgnutls28-dev; and perhaps others.

HTH.

Charlie Millar

* Re: Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-05-30  4:09 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-05-30  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djmvicente; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:21 AM David Vicente <djmvicente@outlook.com>
wrote:

> I have libgnutls30 and gnutls-bin installed on my machine (Debian), but
when I run ./configure it says

> configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
>        gnutls

> does anyone know how to fix this?

Perhaps the easiest way to install everything that is needed to build Emacs
on Debian and derivatives is:

     $ sudo apt-get build-dep emacs

provided that dependencies did not change significantly since the version
offered by Debian.

* Re: Problem with gnutls while building from source on Debian
@ 2018-05-30  9:49   ` David Vicente
From: David Vicente @ 2018-05-30  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

It worked, thank you very much!