all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-06-16  1:39 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-06-16  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here is a snippet of a file called jtw-manual.info

Consider a typical class:

   class A
begin
    property int data;

    classVar int data2 = 666;

The indentation of the "class A" is ugly and I want
to remove it.  In LaTeX, you simply issue the command
\noindent.  I tried the texinfo version @noident
but it doesn't work.

How do I go about suppressing indentation in texinfo?

* Re: Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-06-16 11:45 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2016-06-16 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:39:37 -0700 (PDT) Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a snippet of a file called jtw-manual.info
>
> Consider a typical class:
>
>    class A
> begin
>     property int data;
>
>     classVar int data2 = 666;
>
> The indentation of the "class A" is ugly and I want
> to remove it.  In LaTeX, you simply issue the command
> \noindent.  I tried the texinfo version @noident
> but it doesn't work.

It works for me; did you perhaps mistype it as above (the correct
spelling is "@noindent") when you tried it?  If not, then perhaps
there's another error; can you show exactly what the relevant part of
the .texi file looks like?

Steve Berman

* Re: Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-06-17 23:33   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-06-17 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 16 June 2016 at 23:45, Stephen Berman  wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:39:37 -0700 (PDT) Davin Pearson  wrote:
>
> > Here is a snippet of a file called jtw-manual.info
> >
> > Consider a typical class:
> >
> >    class A
> > begin
> >     property int data;
> >
> >     classVar int data2 = 666;
> >
> > The indentation of the "class A" is ugly and I want
> > to remove it.  In LaTeX, you simply issue the command
> > \noindent.  I tried the texinfo version @noident
> > but it doesn't work.
>
> It works for me; did you perhaps mistype it as above (the correct
> spelling is "@noindent") when you tried it?  If not, then perhaps
> there's another error; can you show exactly what the relevant part of
> the .texi file looks like?

It seems that it does work with @noindent.

I was trying to be too "clever" with my coding that I failed to notice the
obvious.

Thanks for your help.

--
Sincerely and kindest regards, Davin.
Davin Pearson    http://davin.50webs.com

* Re: Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-06-18  7:18 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-06-18  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a snippet of a file called jtw-manual.info
>
> Consider a typical class:
>
>    class A
> begin
>     property int data;
>
>     classVar int data2 = 666;
>
> The indentation of the "class A" is ugly and I want
> to remove it.  In LaTeX, you simply issue the command
> \noindent.  I tried the texinfo version @noident
> but it doesn't work.

The class definition here is clearly an example. Why aren’t you using
the @example environment?

* Re: Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-06-18 23:19   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-06-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

The @example environment doesn't fontify italics text in a proper italics
font.

Instead it fontifies italics text in courier + italics.

This is not as pretty as my code without using the @example environment.

--

@ 2016-06-19  6:39     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-06-19  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The @example environment doesn't fontify italics text in a proper italics
> font.
>
> Instead it fontifies italics text in courier + italics.
>
> This is not as pretty as my code without using the @example environment.

Prettiness is in the eye of the beholder. Markup should capture the
semantics, not presentation.

The fragment you gave does not contain anything I might imagine
italicized in a code listing, so I have to guess. Is it comments?

The Texinfo manual gives this example:

    @lisp
    (+ 2 2)    ; @r{Add two plus two.}
    @end lisp

By adding @i to the @r, you might be able to achieve your personal
definition of prettiness.

* Re: Suppressing indentation in a texinfo file
@ 2016-07-05  8:02       ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2016-07-05  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Yes it was comments I wanted fontified differently.

The @example environment works well with me.