all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* project-management
@ 2015-02-17  5:54 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-02-17  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
finding a problem in "project management".

How do I have a list of "projects" to choose from, that will then
open up all previously open files for that project please? This will
be controlled via an "easy-menu" entry. So how can I do it please?
I'm imagining that the latex projects will have to be explicitly
stated as part of the script, but thats as far as I've been able to
go.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.6, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: project-management
@ 2015-02-17  9:50 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-02-17  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
> finding a problem in "project management".
>
> How do I have a list of "projects" to choose from, that will then
> open up all previously open files for that project please? This will
> be controlled via an "easy-menu" entry. So how can I do it please?
> I'm imagining that the latex projects will have to be explicitly
> stated as part of the script, but thats as far as I've been able to
> go.
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

I've had pretty good luck with the "projectile" package. It's
particularly nice in conjunction with helm, if you use that. If you want
to give it a whirl, it's in the package manager.

You can also just go into the package list, and filter by the "project",
"projects", or "project-management" keywords (hit "f" to choose). As was
noted somewhere around here recently, the keyword choices could use some
cleaning up.

Eric

* RE: project-management
@ 2015-02-17 14:27 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-02-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble, help-gnu-emacs

> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
> finding a problem in "project management".
>
> How do I have a list of "projects" to choose from, that will then
> open up all previously open files for that project please? This will
> be controlled via an "easy-menu" entry. So how can I do it please?
> I'm imagining that the latex projects will have to be explicitly
> stated as part of the script, but thats as far as I've been able to
> go.

A project can mean many things.  If for you it is essentially a set
of files (whether under a single directory or located anywhere), then
Bookmark+ might be able to help.  You can bookmark a set of files and
switch to it by "jumping" to the bookmark.  You can associate any
function with a bookmark, as a handler, so jumping to it can do
whatever else you like, as well.

You can also bookmark Emacs desktops.  When you jump to a desktop
bookmark, you switch to its desktop.  And you can tag bookmarks with
(any number of) arbitrary strings or name+value pairs.

Tags are one way to define sets of files/buffers.  Other ways
include using different bookmark files (and you can bookmark a
bookmark-file) or different bookmark-list displays (and you can
bookmark a bookmark-list display).

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus

* Re: project-management
       [not found] <mailman.225.1424152477.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-17 18:01 ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-02-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 05:54:40 UTC, Sharon Kimble  wrote:
> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
> finding a problem in "project management".

As others have mentioned, projectile [1] is good for a wide range of project types, but doesn't really do "project management" as such. I mainly use it for development projects, as it provides standardised keybindings for concepts such as project-wide search, replace and build.

But the big thing for your particular use case, assuming you haven't already seen it, is org-mode[2]. It is *incredible* and supports both inline and block LaTeX. It sounds weird until you use it, but org-mode works as both a typesetting language (typically by exporting to the more verbose LaTeX) and a TODO organiser. I strongly recommend reading the "compact" manual to get a flavour. It is the kitchen sink within the kitchen sink.

I've even used it with pandoc[3] (a universal document converter tool) to produce presentations and accompanying speaker notes[4].

[1] https://github.com/bbatsov/projectile
[2] http://orgmode.org/
[3] https://github.com/jgm/pandoc
[4] http://fommil.github.io/scalax14/#/ sources at https://github.com/fommil/scalax-linear-algebra

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: project-management
@ 2015-02-17 18:35   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-02-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 05:54:40 UTC, Sharon Kimble  wrote:
>> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
>> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
>> finding a problem in "project management".
>
> As others have mentioned, projectile [1] is good for a wide range of
> project types, but doesn't really do "project management" as such. I
> mainly use it for development projects, as it provides standardised
> keybindings for concepts such as project-wide search, replace and build.
>
> But the big thing for your particular use case, assuming you haven't
> already seen it, is org-mode[2]. It is *incredible* and supports both
> inline and block LaTeX. It sounds weird until you use it, but org-mode
> works as both a typesetting language (typically by exporting to the more
> verbose LaTeX) and a TODO organiser. I strongly recommend reading the
> "compact" manual to get a flavour. It is the kitchen sink within the
> kitchen sink.

Thanks, but org-mode doesn't give me the fine control that I get
with latex. I've tried writing an ebook with org-mode, and I just
ended up feeling very restricted. Only writing it direct into latex
fulfils my needs and gives me the ability to fine-tune the output to
give exceedingly good pdf's.

The only way that org-mode is useful is to hold a link to the master
document for each project.

I'm aware of "pandoc" and would use it if I was writing in "muse",
but that doesn't allow me the ability to fine-tune the output.

To see what I mean, you can have a read of the "Obnam manual", or
"The Quick And Dirty Guide To ”Get-Iplayer”", or the "Beeb manual",
all from "http://www.sharons.org.uk".

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2015-02-18  2:09     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-02-18  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Sam Halliday, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Sharon Kimble
<boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 05:54:40 UTC, Sharon Kimble  wrote:
>>> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
>>> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
>>> finding a problem in "project management".
>>
>> But the big thing for your particular use case, assuming you haven't
>> already seen it, is org-mode[2].
>>
> Thanks, but org-mode doesn't give me the fine control that I get
> with latex. I've tried writing an ebook with org-mode, and I just
> ended up feeling very restricted. Only writing it direct into latex
> fulfils my needs and gives me the ability to fine-tune the output to
> give exceedingly good pdf's.

Please be aware that ebooks mean much more than pdfs, even if they are
fine-tuned to be exceedingly good. Many readers will prefer formats
that are readable in any font of any size, any color on any
background, in a viewport of arbitrary width, not locked into
\documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{book}.