all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remapping Ctrl-m
@ 2018-05-20 19:21 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-05-20 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs

There's an article at
http://makble.com/rebind-ctrlm-and-enter-in-emacs
which is of interest to me. The author seems to have covered both
the basics and the "gotchas" of rebinding Ctrl-m.

I'd welcome further comments as to what other "gotchas" might be
lurking.

Because of my limited hand and finger reach, it's a candidate for a
prefix key - should that appear workable.

Thanks
--
Tim Johnson
http://www.tj49.com

* Re: Remapping Ctrl-m
@ 2018-05-21  4:20 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-05-21  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 2:21 AM Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> There's an article at
> http://makble.com/rebind-ctrlm-and-enter-in-emacs
> which is of interest to me. The author seems to have covered both
> the basics and the "gotchas" of rebinding Ctrl-m.

> I'd welcome further comments as to what other "gotchas" might be
> lurking.

“The” other gotcha with rebindig Ctrl+m and <return> separately is that it
will only work for the GUI Emacs. Terminal emulators also map <return> to
Ctrl+m and pretty much everything expects it to be that way.

The same applies to (Ctrl+i, <tab>) and (Ctrl+[, <escape>).

* Re: Remapping Ctrl-m
@ 2018-05-21 15:18   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2018-05-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Yuri Khan <yurivkhan@gmail.com> [180520 20:25]:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 2:21 AM Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > There's an article at
> > http://makble.com/rebind-ctrlm-and-enter-in-emacs
> > which is of interest to me. The author seems to have covered both
> > the basics and the "gotchas" of rebinding Ctrl-m.
>
> > I'd welcome further comments as to what other "gotchas" might be
> > lurking.
>
> “The” other gotcha with rebindig Ctrl+m and <return> separately is that it
> will only work for the GUI Emacs. Terminal emulators also map <return> to
> Ctrl+m and pretty much everything expects it to be that way.
>
> The same applies to (Ctrl+i, <tab>) and (Ctrl+[, <escape>).
  Thanks Yuri. I should have mentioned that I was aware of the
  difference on terminal emulators and I always use emacs from X.
  -- vim is my terminal emacs :)

  anyway, seems worth try then.
  Cheers

--