I see. Thanks for clarifying. In my original e-mail I also forgot to mention that the advice of Peter Dyballa to use a .emacs for customization was the correct advice. Thanks Peter. I got the idea to use ~/.emacs/init.el from the Emacs Starter Kit ( https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/ ). Presumably it is no substitute for .emacs. Thanks again everyone, Nathan On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Drew Adams wrote: > > Hi guys, thanks for replying. If anyone out there is still > > searching, I finally figured out that apparently in Emacs 24 > > color-theme is (slightly?) deprecated. > > No, color-theme is not at all deprecated. It has never been part of GNU > Emacs, > so GNU Emacs cannot deprecate it. It is a third-party library, > color-theme.el, > and it is still available AFAIK. > > What is unfortunate is that GNU Emacs adopted a name, "custom theme", that > is so > close to "color theme", which already has a certain following. > > Every few weeks someone posts here with questions that involve confusion > between > the two. > > (Emacs has had "custom themes" for a long time, but until Emacs 24 they had > nothing to do with colors (as in "color theme"). It is the combination of > Emacs > 24 adopting something similar to what color-theme.el offers plus its > inclusion > of that new feature in the grab bag called "custom themes" that seems to > lead to > the confusion.) > >