Many editors allow a mouse-click operation on an identifier, plus a suitable modifier key, to jump to the declaration of the symbol. Emacs provides xref-find-definitions-at-mouse, but I couldn't find a way to make it work in response to a click. So I wrote this variant that works nicely for me. Notably, it is an (interactive) command, and it doesn't use save-excursion. (defun xref-find-definitions-at-mouse-2 (event) "Find the definition of identifier at or around mouse click. This command is intended to be bound to a mouse event." (interactive "e") (let ((identifier (progn (mouse-set-point event) (xref-backend-identifier-at-point (xref-find-backend))))) (if identifier (xref-find-definitions identifier) (user-error "No identifier here")))) ;; cmd-click -> jump to definition (global-set-key (kbd "s-") #'xref-find-definitions-at-mouse-2) Could this functionality (not necessarily this code) be added to Emacs's xref package? I am not enough of an Emacs expert to know whether I was simply "holding it wrong", so perhaps this is merely a documentation problem. thanks alan