all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Continuation of comments in f90-mode with auto-fill
@ 2015-01-14 12:39 Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2015-01-14 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When in f90-mode with auto-fill-mode, emacs continues a comment by
indenting the new line and inserting a single '!' character at the
beginning. How do I change this string, say to "!! "?

Thanks already,

nick

* Re: Continuation of comments in f90-mode with auto-fill
@ 2015-01-14 21:38 Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2015-01-14 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When in f90-mode with auto-fill-mode, emacs continues a comment by
> indenting the new line and inserting a single '!' character at the
> beginning. How do I change this string, say to "!! "?

completely untested but may give you an idea:

(add-hook 'f90-hook
  (lambda ()
    (setq comment-start "!! ")))

* Re: Continuation of comments in f90-mode with auto-fill
@ 2015-01-15  1:15 ` Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2015-01-15  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bernardo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Bernardo,

that's awesome! Thanks! However, it's not quite working, although it's
almost there. I added this to my ~/.emacs file:

(add-hook 'f90-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (setq comment-start "!> ")
   (setq comment-continue "!! ")))

Hoping to be able to type something like this with the right indentation:

  !> A subroutine.
  !!
  !! @param a Parameter a.

However, what is happening is the following. I start the first line
and hit enter at the end. The cursor is positioned underneath the
"!>", so all is good. But no "!! " is inserted. Then I type "!!
@param..." and hit enter, and the line is moved all the way to the
left, so not aligned anymore with the comments above it. Could you
suggest some other variable(s) I could change?

Thanks already,

nick

@ 2015-01-15 18:43   ` Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2015-01-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bernardo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Reading more in the manual I came across the key binding 'M-j'. When I type

!> beginning...

Press M-j, I get

!> beginning...
!

i.e. only a single '!' is inserted and not two as specified by
comment-continue. I read through the implementation in
newcomment.el::comment-indent-new-line() but I don't understand lisp
sufficiently to see where the single '! ' comes from. Could someone
give me a hint?

Thanks already,

nick

@ 2015-01-15 19:34     ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2015-01-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Nicolas Bock

Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading more in the manual I came across the key binding 'M-j'. When I type
>
> !> beginning...
>
> Press M-j, I get
>
> !> beginning...
> !
>
> i.e. only a single '!' is inserted and not two as specified by
> comment-continue. I read through the implementation in
> newcomment.el::comment-indent-new-line() but I don't understand lisp
> sufficiently to see where the single '! ' comes from. Could someone
> give me a hint?

I'm not familiar with Fortran or `f90-mode', so I could be missing
something, but this seems to work for me:

    (add-hook 'f90-mode-hook
              (lambda ()
                (setq-local adaptive-fill-mode nil)
                (setq-local fill-prefix "!! ")))

--
john

* Re: Continuation of comments in f90-mode with auto-fill
@ 2015-01-15 21:25       ` Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2015-01-15 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: John Mastro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM, John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reading more in the manual I came across the key binding 'M-j'. When I type
>>
>> !> beginning...
>>
>> Press M-j, I get
>>
>> !> beginning...
>> !
>>
>> i.e. only a single '!' is inserted and not two as specified by
>> comment-continue. I read through the implementation in
>> newcomment.el::comment-indent-new-line() but I don't understand lisp
>> sufficiently to see where the single '! ' comes from. Could someone
>> give me a hint?
>
> I'm not familiar with Fortran or `f90-mode', so I could be missing
> something, but this seems to work for me:
>
>     (add-hook 'f90-mode-hook
>               (lambda ()
>                 (setq-local adaptive-fill-mode nil)
>                 (setq-local fill-prefix "!! ")))

M-j is inserting "!! " now, but aligns it all the way to the left :(