There seems to be something up with the emacs bzr server/repository. $ bzr pull Using saved parent location: bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk/ Server does not understand Bazaar network protocol 3, reconnecting. (Upgrade the server to avoid this.) Server does not understand Bazaar network protocol 2, reconnecting. (Upgrade the server to avoid this.) bzr: ERROR: Generic bzr smart protocol error: Server is not a Bazaar server: Received bad protocol version marker: "failed to open trace file: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/bzr/.bzr.log'\n" I asked around on #emacs and this isn't just affecting me.