On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 03:42, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Richard Copley > > Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 23:42:31 +0100 > > Cc: 35739@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > ... and (apologies) I don't have a copyright assignment on file, so I'll > have to > > leave it to Somebody to do TRT. > > The change is small enough for us not to be bothered by that. > OK, then I have another reason to leave it to someone else: I don't understand the code in "package.el" and "url.el" well enough to be confident making changes there. The attached patch is less stupid, in that it doesn't have the potential to break all the users of url-retrieve. Still, I'm not asserting it's a sound or complete fix, or recommending it for inclusion in Emacs. It does get rid of the error from my recipe.