A user on #emacs brought it to my attention that the xdg-open detection for browse-url is more complex than it should be and fails detecting their Linux desktop. Looking at the definition of `browse-url-can-use-xdg-open' reveals that it replicates the desktop environment check as done by `xdg-open` (which is done to detect the DE-specific default browser setting, not to prevent people not using a popular desktop environment from using xdg-open). As enumerating all possible kinds of Linux desktop is a futile endeavor, I've completely eliminated this check from it so that the only ones left are whether we're in a graphical session (by checking $DISPLAY) and whether `xdg-open` has been found on $PATH.