all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Font in mode line
@ 2013-11-26 21:22 Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2013-11-26 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

> > I'm not sure how to use `format-mode-line' the way you described.
>
> Like this:
>
>   C-x b *scratch* RET
>   M-x font-lock-mode RET
>   Now type this:
>
>    (insert (format-mode-line mode-line-format))
>
>   and press C-j at the rightmost closing parenthesis.
>
> > If I format `mode- line-format' there doesn't seem to be an obvious
> > way to infer the faces that are used to render the various elements.
>
> Go to one of the problematic characters and type "C-u C-x =".  Emacs
> will then show the font it used to display that character.

Thanks, the part I was missing is `insert'.

However, this doen't seem to work.  Whatever my mode line looks like,
the inserted text always look plain (font lock is on).  For example if I set

    (set-face-attribute 'mode-line-buffer-id nil :font "8x13" :foreground nil)

The buffer id in the mode line displays red, but when I execute

    (insert (format-mode-line mode-line-format))

In *scratch* I get the contents of the mode line rendered with normal
font.

Francesco

* Font in mode line
@ 2013-11-24 16:15 Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2013-11-24 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to set "8x13" (one of the fonts shipped with X) to be the font in
my mode line.

If I start emacs using `emacs -Q', and then execute

    (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil :font "8x13")

The font is rendered wrongly: <http://i.imgur.com/QUHaWnj.png>.  Note that
the buffer id appears differently because it follows the `mode-line-buffer-
id' face, if I set that to use 8x13 too that is rendered wrongly as well.

Weirdly, if I set "8x13" to be the default font, it renders fine (both in the
buffer and in the mode line): <http://i.imgur.com/o9QcxLr.png>.

Am I doing something wrong?  I'm running `GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-
gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4) of 2013-09-27 on trouble, modified by Debian'
(`emacs24' on Debian testing).

Francesco