As I said, that would be the perfect solution! On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > IOW, there are several ideas of what the screen looks like: > > 1. the glyph matrix etc. > > 2. what Xlib has been told the screen should look like > > 3. what the screen actually looks like. > > > > update_frame synchronizes (2) with (1). x_sync synchronizes (3) with (2). > > Yes, I know. But how does that let you know what update_frame > actually did? By actually looking at the screen to see what's on it. 1. set breakpoint in update_frame 2. "p x_sync($f)" (if necessary) 3. look at screen to see before-state 4. "finish" 5. "p x_sync($f)" 6. look at screen It could do very little or nothing at all, and you need > to put a breakpoint at the right place (like the call to the > draw_glyphs method of the display interface) to see which parts are > being actually redrawn. > I can conclude that all parts that changed on the screen have been redrawn. You're right that I cannot conclude that the other parts have not been redrawn, so my method is of limited utility, but in this case, it works. I agree with everything else you said in the last email. Pip