On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:03 AM, martin rudalics wrote: > >> FWIW here resizing a window "manually" makes the mini-window "go normal" > >> first. > > > > Strange, that doesn't work here. Are you using the echo area or the > > minibuffer to test? I'm using the minibuffer. > > It goes back to normal in the echo area but leaves the minibuffer window > alone as you say. I had assumed "go normal" meant "shrink back to normal size", which is true for the echo area but not the minibuffer. > >> Resizing the frame leaves the mini-window alone. > >> > > ...which means they'll be in an inconsistent state afterwards, having > been > > resized while the mini-window was enlarged. > > Can you tell me more about this inconsistency? > Well, first, to clarify, I was talking about unpatched Emacs, and using window-size-change-functions in an attempt to catch window size changes. 1. window at 80x24, mini-window at 1 line, window thinks it's 80x24. Everything okay. 2. mini-window grows to 2 lines 3. window at 80x23, mini-window at 2 lines, window thinks it's 80x24. Inconsistent, but temporary. 4. user resizes window to 79x23. size-change-functions called. 5. window at 79x23, mini-window at 2 lines, window thinks it's 79x23. Everything okay again. 6. mini-window shrinks. 7. window at 79x24, mini-window at 1 line, window thinks it's 79x23. Permanent inconsistency. Am I missing something here? Pip