all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'
@ 2016-06-26 21:05 Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2016-06-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a file whose name is not 'makefile', nor 'Makefile', nor 'GNUmakefile'.

If i visit it using emacs (v 24.5.1, xubuntu 16.04), the modeline
correctly indicates GNUmakefile.

But if i add
# -*- GNUmakefile -*-
at the top of the file, i get a message:
    Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'.

This makes me very uneasy, because i don't know how it is detecting
the mode, and if i mess up the file, it may no longer recognize it as
a GNUmakefile.  Also, i don't know if other versions of emacs will be
able to recognize that it is a GNUmakefile.

Note that i can explicitly set the mode with a line like
# -*- Makefile -*-

That does not generate any warnings, but the mode line indicates
'Makefile' rather than 'GNUmakefile', which is not really correct
since it uses a bunch of GNUmakefile specific things.

So . . . is there some way i can instruct emacs, in the text of the
file, that i want it to be treated as a GNUmakefile?

TIA for any clues!

dan

PS: i googled for the line in the subject, and was very surprised not
to get a single match.

* Re: Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'
       [not found] <mailman.164.1467017573.26859.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-06-27  9:34 ` Alain Ketterlin
From: Alain Ketterlin @ 2016-06-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> writes:

> But if i add
> # -*- GNUmakefile -*-
> at the top of the file, i get a message:
>     Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'.

Use makefile-gmake instead. The documentation of makefile-mode lists
other variants.

-- Alain.

@ 2016-06-27  9:56 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-06-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Hitt wrote:
> I have a file whose name is not 'makefile', nor 'Makefile', nor 'GNUmakefile'.
>
> If i visit it using emacs (v 24.5.1, xubuntu 16.04), the modeline
> correctly indicates GNUmakefile.
>
> But if i add
> # -*- GNUmakefile -*-
> at the top of the file, i get a message:
>     Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'.

The name displayed in the mode line is not necessarily the actual name
of the major mode. For that, you should inspect the (buffer-local) value
of the variable `major-mode'. Do `C-h v major-mode RET` to check it out.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Ignoring unknown mode `GNUmakefile-mode'
@ 2016-06-27 14:48   ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2016-06-27 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Joost and Alain,

The diagnostics work the way you said and makefile-gmake solves my problems.

dan