On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 09:16, Stefan Kangas wrote: > > That sounds like exactly the right thing to do. So we need to add stuff > here, without taking anything away. > That would be a shame: there are too many things in Emacs that just get more complicated over time. I'm dubious about the utility of system-independent configuration here too. Looking even more closely at this, I guess `xdg-open' could be used as > some final fallback, but it doesn't seem to add anything that isn't > already available from mailcap? xdg-open uses the underlying desktop system's MIME infrastructure. For a GNU system, that would most typically be GNOME, and its "gio open" (or on older systems, gvfs-open) command. -- https://rrt.sc3d.org