On 30 July 2014 00:49, Juri Linkov wrote: > > These days, there are mature programs for launching an arbitrary file > with > > an appropriate viewer: run-mailcap (which is mature to the point of > > obsolescence) and > > run-mailcap is fully supported by shell-command and async-shell-command > where > the list of available commands can be accessed using M-n in its minibuffer. > I can't see any mention of run-mailcap in the Emacs source; do you mean simply that it's possible to add it to the list of commands used? > > xdg-open on GNU systems; open on Mac OS X; start on MS Windows). > > xdg-open is a single command that is too easy to add to the top of this > list. > Did you mean "easy too"? So, yes, both of these commands can be added. My original point is that they're not currently used; instead there is a custom list that has to be configured separately by the user from either of these. Hence, I suggest using these commands (and similarly "open" on Mac OS, and, as per Eli's suggestion, w32-shell-execute on Windows) instead of the current contents of dired-guess-shell-alist-default. Since each of these commands tackles all file types, it would seem simplest to add a new function shell-execute, modelled on w32-shell-execute, and have dired-read-shell-command use that instead of dired-guess-shell-command, which could then become an option that shell-execute can be configured to use, for those who are used to it. -- http://rrt.sc3d.org