On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 10:48, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > > More generally, I'm not sure mailcap is the right tool for the job: > > its main purpose is to view attachments to email messages, where we > > generally have metadata (MIME etc.) which is not necessarily available > > for arbitrary disk files. > > Isn't that just "file --mime-type -b"? file is a BSD command AFAICT so > it should presumably be available almost everywhere. > > I also see in the man page than a certain Reuben Thomas has been > involved in its development so maybe he has something to add here. :-) > I agree with Eli that mailcap is not the right tool for the job. file's MIME-type support is easy to fix for types that don't (yet) have a MIME type supplied; file is actively maintained and frequently released. Note that xdg-open won't use file on a system that has its own MIME-type handling, such as GNOME. -- https://rrt.sc3d.org