Reproduction with Emacs 29.3 (also with git master HEAD, see below). Run: emacs -Q C-x 5 2 ; window opens the same size as the initial window M-x menu-bar-mode RET ; disable menu-bar-mode C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window With master HEAD (commit 92ea393a16e), the situation is slightly different: Run: emacs -Q C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window When the new windows are opening at a small size, changing default-frame-alist has no effect. When the new windows are opening at the same size as the initial window (with Emacs 29.3, as above), then changing default-frame-alist works as expected. I'm running on Ubuntu 24.04, under GNOME 46 with X11. I don't have any Emacs X resources set. -- https://rrt.sc3d.org