On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 16:43, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Reuben Thomas writes: > > > If I add comint-truncate-buffer to comint-output-filter-functions, and > > set comint-buffer-maximum-size to 1024, then when a term buffer > > reaches about that size, and I run a command that produces a lot of > > output, then scroll back, some of the output is missing. In other > > words, rather than truncate from the top of the buffer, some of the > > truncation at least seems to happen much nearer the bottom. > > (This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.) > > Do you have a step-by-step recipe to reproduce this error, starting from > "emacs -Q"? > If I try it now, it doesn't seem to truncate the buffer as expected: for example emacs -Q M-: (add-to-list 'comint-output-filter-functions 'comint-truncate-buffer) M-x term C-c M-x set-variable comint-buffer-maximum-size 256 ; do this after M-x term because before comint-buffer-maximum-size is not defined $ seq 1 1024 The entire output is retained, and not truncated. Truncation seems to happen at 2048 lines. This does not even correspond to the original value of the variable (1024). However, I cannot detect any truncation at the bottom of the output. If I run C-c M-x comint-truncate-buffer, the buffer is truncated as expected, to 256 lines. -- https://rrt.sc3d.org