all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
       [not found] ` <20170825125953.D61F420EC0@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2017-08-25 21:02   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-08-25 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Reuben Thomas

>      (wksh sh-append ksh88
> -          ;; FIXME: This looks too much like a regexp.  --Stef
> +          ;; wksh has X toolkit APIs as built-ins!
>  	  "Xt[A-Z][A-Za-z]*")

But AFAICT sh-builtins is passed to `regexp-opt', so the above will
simply treat the command with name "Xt[A-Z][A-Za-z]*" as a builtin,
instead of recognizing any command that matches this regexp.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
@ 2017-08-25 21:20     ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2017-08-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 25 August 2017 at 22:02, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>      (wksh sh-append ksh88
>> -          ;; FIXME: This looks too much like a regexp.  --Stef
>> +          ;; wksh has X toolkit APIs as built-ins!
>>         "Xt[A-Z][A-Za-z]*")
>
> But AFAICT sh-builtins is passed to `regexp-opt', so the above will
> simply treat the command with name "Xt[A-Z][A-Za-z]*" as a builtin,
> instead of recognizing any command that matches this regexp.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what regexp-opt does; I should have looked it up.

Since wksh is as far as I can tell a historical curiosity, the
simplest thing would be to remove the setting for it. Does that seem
reasonable?

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
@ 2017-08-26  7:41       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-08-26  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org>
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 22:20:03 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Since wksh is as far as I can tell a historical curiosity, the
> simplest thing would be to remove the setting for it. Does that seem
> reasonable?

Is wksh no longer included in the popular distributions?

In any case, we don't normally remove stuff before deprecating it for
some period of time.  Should this case be an exception?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
@ 2017-08-26  8:02         ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2017-08-26  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

On 26 August 2017 08:41:58 BST, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org>
>> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 22:20:03 +0100
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Since wksh is as far as I can tell a historical curiosity, the
>> simplest thing would be to remove the setting for it. Does that seem
>> reasonable?
>
>Is wksh no longer included in the popular distributions?

I can't find evidence it ever was. I also can't find any code for either wksh or its successor, dtksh.

>In any case, we don't normally remove stuff before deprecating it for
>some period of time.  Should this case be an exception?

Yes, this feature has never worked.
--
https://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
@ 2017-08-26  8:10         ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2017-08-26  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Reuben Thomas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Is wksh no longer included in the popular distributions?

No. It was a commercial product, and was never part of GNU or BSD distributions.
It was in use for only a year or two, and was almost immediately supplanted by
dtksh (another commercial product) around 1993. Nobody has used wksh for many years.

> In any case, we don't normally remove stuff before deprecating it for
> some period of time.  Should this case be an exception
I'd say so, yes, since nobody uses wksh.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 690512d: Fix a FIXME with an exegetical comment
@ 2017-08-26 23:29           ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2017-08-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 26 August 2017 at 09:10, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> Is wksh no longer included in the popular distributions?
>

> No. It was a commercial product, and was never part of GNU or BSD
> distributions. It was in use for only a year or two, and was almost
> immediately supplanted by dtksh (another commercial product) around 1993.
> Nobody has used wksh for many years.
>
>> In any case, we don't normally remove stuff before deprecating it for
>> some period of time.  Should this case be an exception
>
> I'd say so, yes, since nobody uses wksh.

I've simply removed the offending invalid regexp, figuring that
there's little harm in keeping the rest of the information about wksh.

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org