On 26 November 2016 at 18:29, Ken Brown wrote: > On 11/26/2016 12:54 PM, Reuben Thomas wrote: > >> Sounds like a good compromise. I agree about the default, except that >>> it should default to case-insensitive matches on case-insensitive >>> filesystems (Windows etc.) >>> >> I have now implemented this (apologies for the delay). I attach revised >> patches. >> > > As of commit 2809012 we have a new primitive, > file-name-case-insensitive-p, that can be used to determine whether or not > a filesystem is case insensitive. This is better than relying on system > type. For example, on both Cygwin and macOS, it's possible that some > filesystems are case-insensitive and others aren't. ​Thanks for the heads up, that's great news! It bothered me that there was no easy way to do this previously. ​I updated my patch so that dired-omit-case-fold is now a three-valued variable which defaults to 'filesystem, and a helper function that checks (filename-case-sensitive-p dired-directory) when this value is used. I've added info and NEWS documentation for dired-omit-case-fold. -- http://rrt.sc3d.org