all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-10  0:12 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2011-09-10  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for reply.
I am using the CVS version.  But when I try
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/repos/el/auctex/doc")
emacs complaints
Symbol's value as variable is void: Info-directory-list
What could go wrong? Thanks.
Shiyuan

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 08:37:19 +0200
From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Shiyuan,

>      I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info
> node when I use C-h i. The information may be missing in the package or I
> did something wrong when I installed the package.
> How does a library usually insert its info node into emacs such that users
> can browse it by C-h i m? How can I identify the problem and fix it?
Thanks.

You have to add the directory containing the info file (or to be more
precise, the dir [directory index] file) to `Info-directory-list'.
That's what I do for AUCTeX from CVS:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------
------->8---
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/repos/el/auctex/doc")

For generating the info docs, you have to run

 $ make docs

in the auctex checkout (probably, "make all" also creates the docs).  In
addition, you have to create a directory index in doc/ that lists the 2
manuals (auctex itself plus the preview-latex docs).  This can be done
easily like so:

 $ pwd
 /path/to/auctex
 $ cd docs
 $ install-info auctex.info dir
 $ install-info preview-latex.info dir

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-10  7:56 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-10  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Shiyuan,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply.
> I am using the CVS version.  But when I try
> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/repos/el/auctex/doc")

You have to change the "~/repos/el/auctex/doc" to wherever you installed
auctex info files. Tassilo was simply giving an example from his setup.
Based on your last post I would think the correct sexp should be:

(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
	     (expand-file-name "/opt/share/info"))

> emacs complaints
> Symbol's value as variable is void: Info-directory-list
> What could go wrong? Thanks.
> Shiyuan

GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-10 15:14   ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2011-09-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 2:56 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Shiyuan,
>
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Thanks for reply.
> >> I am using the CVS version.  But when I try
> >> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/repos/el/auctex/doc")
>
> >You have to change the "~/repos/el/auctex/doc" to wherever you >installed
> >auctex info files. Tassilo was simply giving an example from his setup.
> >Based on your last post I would think the correct sexp should be:
>
> I did change the directory to the correct location. What emacs complains is
the Info-directory-list is void. I cannot find the the variable by C-h v.

>(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list

>             >(expand-file-name "/opt/share/info"))
>
> According to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPath,
Info-default-directory-list will not be used if INFOPATH is defined but
Info-directory-list should always be defined and used. But How comes I
cannot see it?  Thanks.
Shiyuan

* Re: Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-10 16:51     ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-10 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
>>(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
>>
>>             >(expand-file-name "/opt/share/info"))
>>
> According to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPath,
> Info-default-directory-list will not be used if INFOPATH is defined but
> Info-directory-list should always be defined and used. But How comes I
> cannot see it?  Thanks.

Then try something like this very early in your init file instead:

(setenv "INFOPATH" "/opt/share/info:$INFOPATH" t)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
@ 2011-09-10 22:32       ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2011-09-10 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs