all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit diff not showing diff
@ 2014-07-02 22:51 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-07-02 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
    I am on Emacs 24.3 + Magit 20140306.1400. I use the keys `l l` to
 enter the *magit-log* where the history is shown. If I choose a commit,
press `enter`, I will enter the *magit-commit* butter where the diff-Ediff
(using the key `e`) works properly as expected. What isn't working is the
following operation sequence:

In the *magit-log* buffer,  select two commits and diff them(by first going
to one commit, press the key `.` and then move the cursor to another
commit, then press the key `=`), then magit opens a `magit-diff` buffer
where a summary of difference is shown and each difference is shown hunk by
hunk. If I go to a hunk, and press `e`, Magit opens Ediff, but in  the
Ediff, the difference is not shown correctly. The Ediff Control panel shows
zero difference and the mode lines are "fileA.{nil}" and "fileB.{nil}".
Ediff doesn't pick up the diff correctly.  Is Magit supposed to work that
way? Do I need any extra setup?

Thanks.

Shiyuan

* Re: magit diff not showing diff
@ 2014-07-04 21:49 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-07-04 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

> In the *magit-log* buffer,  select two commits and diff them(by first going
> to one commit, press the key `.` and then move the cursor to another
> commit, then press the key `=`), then magit opens a `magit-diff` buffer
> where a summary of difference is shown and each difference is shown hunk by
> hunk. If I go to a hunk, and press `e`, Magit opens Ediff, but in  the
> Ediff, the difference is not shown correctly. The Ediff Control panel shows
> zero difference and the mode lines are "fileA.{nil}" and "fileB.{nil}".
> Ediff doesn't pick up the diff correctly.  Is Magit supposed to work that
> way? Do I need any extra setup?

Looks like a bug to me.  AFAIK, the Magit maintainer wants to rewrite
ediff integration:

  https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/1261

so I don't know if its worth reporting.  Using D instead of = works for
me; you can use commit hashs as input.

Michael.