all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configuring irony
@ 2015-10-12  1:17 Sanjeev Sariya
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-12  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs Users,

Apologies if this a naive query. I'm new to emacs world, and have been trying to learn how to set up config in .emacs/init.el file for irony package.
I've installed/downloaded irony, company-irony, added their path to my .emacs file, yet they don't work.

https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode

 My .emacs file look like:

(add-to-list  'load-path "/Users/sariyasanjeev/.emacs.d/elpa/irony-20150831.144/")
(load "irony.el")
(require 'irony)
(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'irony-mode)
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'irony-mode)
(add-hook 'objc-mode-hook 'irony-mode)

(add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/sariyasanjeev/.emacs.d/elpa/company-irony-20150810.239/")
(eval-after-load 'company
    '(add-to-list 'company-backends 'company-irony))

How do I enable these?  Emacs -version 24.5.1 GNU, OSX, 10.9
Please help me.

Best,
Sanjeev

* Re: configuring irony
@ 2015-10-12  4:07 ` Alexis
       [not found] ` <mailman.119.1444622853.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexis @ 2015-10-12  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> writes:

> Apologies if this a naive query. I'm new to emacs world, and
> have been trying to learn how to set up config in .emacs/init.el
> file for irony package.  I've installed/downloaded irony,
> company-irony, added their path to my .emacs file, yet they
> don't work.

Welcome to Emacs!

One of the most important things to do when asking for help with
issues like this is to not only say that something doesn't work,
but to describe:

* what you tried to do;
* what you expected to happen;
* what actually happened.

That is: how, /specifically/, did something not work for you?

So in this instance, you might write something like:

---

Here's my Emacs config:

[config]

When I'm in a buffer in c-mode, and I type:

stru

I expect to see a list pop-up showing me possible completions,
such as 'struct'. But nothing happens, even if I then press TAB.

---

That might help to give people some ideas about where the problem
might be.

(Also, i highly recommend configuring package archives, such as
MELPA, and then installing packages via Emacs' package system,
rather than manually - doing so will mean you usually won't need
to manually add package directories to your load-path.)

Alexis.

* Re: configuring irony
       [not found] ` <mailman.119.1444622853.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-12 12:17   ` Sanjeev Sariya
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-12 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for your attention and reply to my post.
Sorry for a superficial, and a broad post. I shall keep in my mind suggestions provided by you. :)

My config file for emacs look like:

(require 'package)
(package-initialize)

(setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
                         ("marmalade" . "https://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")
                         ("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/")))

Sorry, I don't know configuring emacs archives. :(
All packages I've been installing are as:
- M-x package-list-packages
- search for your package, hit enter, press I and press x

Then I make changes in init.el file, for add, and load.

For the irony, or c mode: I open c or c++ file, upon typing keywords - struct or int, and hitting tab, I won't get prompt to complete these.

Kindly guide me in order to proceed.

Thanks,
Sanjeev

On Monday, 12 October 2015 00:07:35 UTC-4, Alexis  wrote:
> Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Apologies if this a naive query. I'm new to emacs world, and
> > have been trying to learn how to set up config in .emacs/init.el
> > file for irony package.  I've installed/downloaded irony,
> > company-irony, added their path to my .emacs file, yet they
> > don't work.
>
> Welcome to Emacs!
>
> One of the most important things to do when asking for help with
> issues like this is to not only say that something doesn't work,
> but to describe:
>
> * what you tried to do;
> * what you expected to happen;
> * what actually happened.
>
> That is: how, /specifically/, did something not work for you?
>
> So in this instance, you might write something like:
>
> ---
>
> Here's my Emacs config:
>
> [config]
>
> When I'm in a buffer in c-mode, and I type:
>
> stru
>
> I expect to see a list pop-up showing me possible completions,
> such as 'struct'. But nothing happens, even if I then press TAB.
>
> ---
>
> That might help to give people some ideas about where the problem
> might be.
>
> (Also, i highly recommend configuring package archives, such as
> MELPA, and then installing packages via Emacs' package system,
> rather than manually - doing so will mean you usually won't need
> to manually add package directories to your load-path.)
>

> Alexis.

* Re: configuring irony
       [not found] ` <mailman.119.1444622853.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-12 20:01 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2015-10-12 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Sanjeev Sariya

Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Emacs Users,
>
> Apologies if this a naive query. I'm new to emacs world, and have been
> trying to learn how to set up config in .emacs/init.el file for irony
> package. I've installed/downloaded irony, company-irony, added their
> path to my .emacs file, yet they don't work.
>
> https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode
>
>  My .emacs file look like:
>
> (add-to-list  'load-path "/Users/sariyasanjeev/.emacs.d/elpa/irony-20150831.144/")
> (load "irony.el")
> (require 'irony)
> (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook 'irony-mode)
> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'irony-mode)
> (add-hook 'objc-mode-hook 'irony-mode)
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/sariyasanjeev/.emacs.d/elpa/company-irony-20150810.239/")
> (eval-after-load 'company
>     '(add-to-list 'company-backends 'company-irony))
>
> How do I enable these?  Emacs -version 24.5.1 GNU, OSX, 10.9
> Please help me.

Here are a few things I noticed:
- Those (add-to-list 'load-path ...) forms shouldn't be necessary and I
  would recommend removing them. That's part of what package.el handles
  for you.
- I also suspect that (load "irony.el") is unnecessary
- You should add this to your init file if not already present:
  (add-hook 'after-init-hook #'global-company-mode)
- The irony-mode README mentions that it requires an external program,
  irony-server, which requires CMake and libclang. Have you confirmed
  those are installed and working?
- In a later message, you mentioned attempting to invoke completion by
  hitting tab after typing some characters. However, that's not how
  company-mode is generally used. Instead, it automatically begins
  completion after you type a specified number of characters (see
  company-minimum-prefix-length).

Hope that helps

--
john