im fairly certain that at the time i sent this email, ox-latex was failing to insert \label and \caption too after images in latex exports (like ox-html to html exports). but perhaps someone made a change that fixed that. the fact that ox-latex even inserts \caption and \label tells me that it was the intention of the maintainer of ox-latex to handle latex blocks preceded by a `#+caption` as figures. so it would be natural if org inserted the figure environment itself like it does with images preceded by `#+caption`. i hope this reasoning does make sense to you? in ox-html, the function `org-html--wrap-image` is used to wrap an exported image with a `
` html environment with a caption and label, but it doesnt happen for me. after some more digging, i think inserting the `figure` environments automatically in latex exports may be undesired behavior and it would be preferred that the user do that themselves in the org document, because `org-latex--caption/label-string` checks for a `figure` or `listing` environment apparently, which tells me that the author expected the user to insert the figure environment themselves. another reason is that the user may use another, differently environment that accepts a \caption too. thanks p.s. sorry i keep hitting the "forward" button instead of the "forward all" button so you may receive duplicate emails. On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM mahmood sheikh wrote: > this is an example of what i mean: > #+begin_src org > #+name: fig-switching-circuit-kmap-1 > #+caption: karnaugh table of \(p\) > \begin{tikzpicture} > \karnaughmap[function=, defaultmap=8, omitzeros=false, omitidx, > variables=xyz]{01101001} > \end{tikzpicture} > #+end_src > i vaguely recall org mode automatically turning captioned > tikzpicture's into figures by wrapping them in a figure environment. > currently, this is what i get when i export to latex: > #+begin_src latex > \begin{tikzpicture} > \karnaughmap[function=, defaultmap=8, omitzeros=false, omitidx, > variables=xyz]{01101001} > \caption{\label{fig-switching-circuit-kmap-1}karnaugh table of \(p\)} > \end{tikzpicture} > a tikzpicture environment doesnt expect a \caption and therefore this > gives an error. to avoid this the environment has to be wrapped manually by > the user by a \begin{figure} environment, but i think this may be redundant > because anything that takes a #+caption is expected to be a figure. > also, ox-html doesnt handle those anymore, it used to handle #+caption: > and insert it into the generated html output, it simply ignores that now. > example: > #+begin_src org > #+name: fig-switching-circuit-1 > #+caption: implementation of \(p\) > [[attachment:circuit.svg]] > #+end_src > ox-html generates the following html: > #+begin_src html >