all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-22 16:03 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the formatting of
elisp on export to html using '#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the beginning
of the code block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its in .emacs its
nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output when its been
exported please? For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!

Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
       [not found] <mailman.10052.1387728225.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-12-22 18:24 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10076.1387737251.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the
> formatting of elisp on export to html using
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the beginning of the code
> block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its in .emacs
> its nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output
> when its been exported please? For once, google has
> drawn a blank, unfortunately!

Do you want to write HTML, but sometimes yank Elisp
code, and you would like the Emacs code to keep its
font-lock (and perhaps other properties as well)?

That is, this will matter to you, at *editing* time, as
a homepage creator?

Is this something you do for school or is it a
documentation project with Elisp examples and so forth?

I never did that, but check out those pages [1]
[2]. They mention mmm-mode, multi-mode, MuMaMo-mode,
org-mode, and more, though again, I have no experience
of those.

[1] http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/42521/how-can-i-use-two-modes-in-emacs-markdown-and-auctex
[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-22 18:29 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.10075.1387736986.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-22 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?

Search for htmlize or htmlfontify in the Org-mode and Emacs manuals.

> For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!

Emacs is self-documenting.  If you are serious about using Emacs you
will ditch google (and even Emacswiki).

* Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-22 18:33   ` Sharon Kimble
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10076.1387737251.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:24:11 +0100
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the
> > formatting of elisp on export to html using
> > #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the beginning of the code
> > block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its in .emacs
> > its nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output
> > when its been exported please? For once, google has
> > drawn a blank, unfortunately!
>
> Do you want to write HTML, but sometimes yank Elisp
> code, and you would like the Emacs code to keep its
> font-lock (and perhaps other properties as well)?

No, I'm not writing html, I'm exporting from org2blog.

> That is, this will matter to you, at *editing* time, as
> a homepage creator?

No editing time, just 'publishing time'.

> Is this something you do for school or is it a
> documentation project with Elisp examples and so forth?

I'm afraid my school days are over fifty years ago, so its hardly
appropriate.

> I never did that, but check out those pages [1]
> [2]. They mention mmm-mode, multi-mode, MuMaMo-mode,
> org-mode, and more, though again, I have no experience
> of those.
>
> [1]
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/42521/how-can-i-use-two-modes-in-emacs-markdown-and-auctex
> [2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes

Yes, I'm using org-mode, but primarily org2blog in this case, but
thanks, I will have a look at the urls you gave.

@ 2013-12-22 18:48   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:59:43 +0530
Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
>
> Search for htmlize or htmlfontify in the Org-mode and Emacs manuals.
>
> > For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!
>
> Emacs is self-documenting.

So I've discovered, install a package, and then click on it again and
it auto-generates a readme.txt file, and that was a big surprise!

> If you are serious about using Emacs you
> will ditch google (and even Emacswiki).

I find it very useful to google error messages.

@ 2013-12-22 18:52   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!
>
> Emacs is self-documenting.  If you are serious about
> using Emacs you will ditch google (and even
> Emacswiki).

In Emacs-utopia perhaps.

Emacs is not really "self-documenting". There is a
clever help mode that immediately gets access to the
Elisp docstrings, function prototypes, and more (and
this is made possible but the dynamic nature of
Emacs/Lisp).

*And* there are manuals included (shipped with Emacs,
or obtainable and then possible to integrate).

As for the included manuals, there is nothing amazing
about that, and that was very common before the
Internet: an on-line manual (i.e., a manual that wasn't
on paper) was shipped with the software.

This is all very practical and in combination with the
elaborate Emacs interface to access it all it makes for
a great thing, but not so great so you in general can
"ditch" Google (or the Internet) and be better off.

As always, it comes down to not only what it is, but
even more so how you use it.

--

@ 2013-12-22 18:57     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10085.1387740651.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> No editing time, just 'publishing time'.

Aha, I remember LaTeX had a package to include source
code, so it would get everything you want to make it
look like code - and there was a parameter to specify
what language, and there was a corresponding set of
rules.

And this is you situation, only, instead of a PDF
document, you want a blog entry?

So you are using some pseudo-HTML or WYSIWYG Emacs mode
to produce HTML (or whatever representation is needed
for the blog), and you want Elisp on to of that?

--

@ 2013-12-22 19:00 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-12-22 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the formatting of
> elisp on export to html using '#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the beginning
> of the code block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its in .emacs its
> nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output when its been
> exported please? For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!

I use htmlize-buffer (or htmlize-region) from htmlize.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-22 19:30       ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10085.1387740651.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So you are using some pseudo-HTML or WYSIWYG Emacs mode
> to produce HTML (or whatever representation is needed
> for the blog), and you want Elisp on to of that?

Emanuel, OP said she is using Org and you overlooked it.  With Org you
can export to HTML and do hundred other stuff.

"Literate programming" - have you heard of that?

@ 2013-12-22 19:34         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So you are using some pseudo-HTML or WYSIWYG Emacs
>> mode to produce HTML (or whatever representation is
>> needed for the blog), and you want Elisp on to of
>> that?
>
> Emanuel, OP said she is using Org and you overlooked
> it.  With Org you can export to HTML and do hundred
> other stuff.

No, I read it, but is it possible to deduct what he is
doing just from that? If it is, did I deduct correctly
or incorrectly?

You say it yourself that you can do lots of things with
it.

> "Literate programming" - have you heard of that?

No?

--

@ 2013-12-22 19:44           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> "Literate programming" - have you heard of that?
>
> No?

OK, now I have.

Yes, it is like constraint programming - instead of
specifying the solution, you specify the problem - and
then the CP module will transform that problem into a
search space of possible representations, and then
search will take place to find a representation that
fulfills the constraints.

Or, it could be like an editor (WYSIWYG, as I
mentioned) which is a bit more down to earth, and more
interactive.

I like CP but it is only suitable for a small set of
problems, like Sudoku, schedules, and the like, that
are easy to define, and, as for the solutions, brute
force search is more efficient (especially with the
super-speed computers of today), than manually being
"intelligent" (algorithmic) about it.

WYSIWYG I don't like because they place a layer between
you and the end result. Then you will not only have the
limitation that is you (as an imperfect human being)
but also the limitations of the tool (technology + the
people who did it + ...) - so I see only you loosing on
this equation. What you see is what you get = what you
see is ALL you get (if you are lucky).

--

@ 2013-12-22 20:13         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-22 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Emanuel, OP said she is using Org and you overlooked
> it.  With Org you can export to HTML and do hundred
> other stuff.
>
> "Literate programming" - have you heard of that?

OK, now I have. [I tried to send this once but it
didn't show up. First time that happened. Anyway an
apologize if you saw it more than once, but I even
checked the web archive and it wasn't there so it must
be something with my software, though it clearly says
it was sent.]

[...]

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-12-22 23:49 ` Sean O'Halpin
From: Sean O'Halpin @ 2013-12-22 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:
> Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the formatting of
> elisp on export to html using '#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the beginning
> of the code block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its in .emacs its
> nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output when its been
> exported please? For once, google has drawn a blank, unfortunately!
>
> Sharon.

Have you set this?

    (setq org-src-fontify-natively t)

Regards,
Sean

* Re: [O] Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-23  0:07     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean O'Halpin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:49:04 +0000
"Sean O'Halpin" <sean.ohalpin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Sharon Kimble
> <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:
> > Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the formatting of
> > elisp on export to html using '#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the
> > beginning of the code block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst its
> > in .emacs its nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the output
> > when its been exported please? For once, google has drawn a blank,
> > unfortunately!
> >
> > Sharon.
>
> Have you set this?
>
>     (setq org-src-fontify-natively t)

No I haven't, but I have now. I'll have a further play with it tomorrow
I think. Thanks :)

From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean O'Halpin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

@ 2013-12-24 14:43       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Sean O'Halpin

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 00:07:22 +0000
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:49:04 +0000
> "Sean O'Halpin" <sean.ohalpin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Sharon Kimble
> > <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:
> > > Thanks to auntie google I've found out how to keep the formatting
> > > of elisp on export to html using '#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp' at the
> > > beginning of the code block, and '#+END_SRC' at the end. Whilst
> > > its in .emacs its nicely colorized, but how do I colorize the
> > > output when its been exported please? For once, google has drawn
> > > a blank, unfortunately!
> > >
> > > Sharon.
> >
> > Have you set this?
> >
> >     (setq org-src-fontify-natively t)
>
> No I haven't, but I have now. I'll have a further play with it
> tomorrow I think. Thanks :)
>
> Sharon.

I've just been trying this out, and its not colorizing the source-code
once its published. You can see it here
http://www.sharons.org.uk/2013/12/19/hello-world/ and how do I get it
so that the block of source-code is shown completely instead of being
folded away please?

From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Sean O'Halpin

       [not found]     ` <mailman.10273.1387896225.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-12-24 14:58       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-12-24 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:43:23 +0000 Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:

SK> I've just been trying this out, and its not colorizing the source-code
SK> once its published. You can see it here
SK> http://www.sharons.org.uk/2013/12/19/hello-world/ and how do I get it
SK> so that the block of source-code is shown completely instead of being
SK> folded away please?

I wanted to mention that I use the `htmlize' package, which lets me
export a fontified region or file to HTML, works with any major Emacs
mode, and doesn't require any Org machinery.  It's probably closer to
what the OP wants.

Ted

* Re: [O] Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-24 17:24         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-12-24 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov, Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.12.2013 um 15:58 schrieb Ted Zlatanov:

> I wanted to mention that I use the `htmlize' package, which lets me
> export a fontified region or file to HTML

And once you have the colourful HTML version displayed in an HTML viewer ("internet browser"), you can print it, for example as PDF. I think this is a kind of export… (but it should also be possible to print the colourful buffer as PostScript, which can also be converted to PDF, saving all the colours and – possibly – fonts)

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

* Re: [O] Colorizing 'emacs-lisp' when it is exported?
@ 2013-12-24 18:55         ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2013-12-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs