Then can we do something like (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x11FC0 . #x11FFF) '("Noto Sans Tamil Supplement" . "iso10646-1") nil 'prepend) in lisp/international/fontset.el? After doing this both the "base" and supplement characters are being displayed correctly. On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 11:09 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh > > Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 22:25:52 +0530 > > Cc: Eli Zaretskii , emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > This is a sub-optimal solution IMHO. There will always be cases where > > a script is split into multiple Unicode blocks, probably mapped to > > different fonts. AFAICS, the Tamil supplement characters don't > > interact typographically with normal Tamil characters, so a two-font > > solution in this case is valid. In case my assumption is invalid you > > should submit a bug to the Noto project :-) > > > > I agree it is somewhat sub optimal, but Emacs does not differentiate > between supplement and "base" > > characters, so setting different fonts for both of them does not seem > possible. > > Of course, it's possible: set-fontset-font can accept ranges of > codepoints and use different font for each range. It doesn't have to > accept only script names. > > > There also seems to be no font which supports both Tamil and its > supplement characters OOTB. > > That part is indeed sub-optimal, but not a catastrophe if they are > displayed independently, i.e. there are no composition rules that > cross the boundary between the blocks. >