On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 20:06, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > You are ignoring the first sentence in my response, right? > I don't think so - the purpose of my email was essentially to ask why you thought the variable shouldn't be buffer-local in *compilation* buffers. I'm hoping to see where my mental model of using .dir-locals.el and/or buffer-local variables is at odds with how emacs intends. The user manual for both of these make it seem like this would be a perfect fit. The rest was a suggestion (and I do see a good reason why project.el > would like to provide this as a project-specific setting). > > More generally, why would you want a directory-specific value for this > variable, if it isn't something the entire directory tree shares? > From my understanding, settings in .dir-locals.el *do* affect the whole directory tree under the directory containing the file (and I'm happy for that to be the case here). I think of .dir-locals.el in the project root as the preferred way of specifying project-wide settings, and of project.el/projectile.el as primarily providing meta functionality (e.g. cross projects, or multi-file within a project). (I would also perhaps naively expect that project.el would in turn get its project-wide settings via that .dir-locals.el, at least that is how I have done it for projects where I've needed to customize projectile settings (sorry, I haven't tried project.el yet)). Maybe you should tell why you need to tell Emacs where to find the > sources? Doesn't the tool you use to compile spell that out? > In my specific case the project is in R (which is a terrible language for software development) and we are using a single top level makefile in the project. It has a target to run linting, which (within each R linter invocation) lints from a subdirectory, and the filenames in each lint message are relative to those directories. There is not the hierarchy of makefiles that you would often see in say C projects, where compilation mode could parse make-issued messages about changing directories etc. It seemed a perfect fit for compilation-search-path. I am currently working around it with the following ugliness in my .dir-locals.el: ( (compilation-mode . ((eval . (progn (setq-local compilation-search-path '( "~/sandboxes/myproject/R" "~/sandboxes/myproject/tests" )) (put 'compilation-search-path 'permanent-local t) (compilation-mode)))))) Cheers, Len.