On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 at 03:02, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Because from the pattern we use the *compilation* buffer it is clear > that it cannot be buffer-local. The *compilation* buffer is reused by > each new compilation, so local setting there makes no sense. > Ahhh, right, thanks. My current hack would not work as expected if I switch to another project and compile that without first killing the previous *compilation* buffer, since it would have the previous project settings. So to be project aware I guess I would somehow need to set the compilation-search-path from compilation-start-hook? > Why cannot you have all the possible directories in the list? > Do you mean all directories for the current project, or all directories across all projects? If the former, that's exactly what I want. If the latter, that seems prone to incorrectly resolving the source file for a message as coming from a project other than the current (particularly for generic filenames like "utils.c") and additionally I try not to have anything project specific in my global emacs init, they should live in the project repo (and .dir-locals.el is the only mechanism I'm aware of for that). Cheers, Len.