all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16  5:24 Tu Do
From: Tu Do @ 2014-06-16  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 Hi everyone,

I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
fully.

I hope it will be useful for new people switching to Ubuntu and want to
have a nice development environment. If you find mistakes, please report it
to me. If you think I'm missing commonly used tools or some idiomatic uses
of Emacs, please tell me.

Thanks

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16 13:34 ` Tim Visher
       [not found] ` <mailman.3750.1402925697.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-06-16 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tu Do; +Cc: emacs

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Tu Do <tuhdo1710@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
> Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
> a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
> This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
> fully.
>
> I hope it will be useful for new people switching to Ubuntu and want to
> have a nice development environment. If you find mistakes, please report it
> to me. If you think I'm missing commonly used tools or some idiomatic uses
> of Emacs, please tell me.

That's quite an effort. Are you aware of the tutorial? `M-x help-with-tutorial`

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16 13:52   ` Tu Do
From: Tu Do @ 2014-06-16 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

I do know. That's where I start learning Emacs. However, the tutorial does
not cover many other important things in Emacs. Read the section "Why this
guide?" in my tutorial for more details.

@ 2014-06-16 14:26   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-06-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, June 16, 2014 7:04:10 PM UTC+5:30, Tim Visher wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Tu Do  wrote:
> > I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
> > Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
> > a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
> > This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
> > fully.
> > I hope it will be useful for new people switching to Ubuntu and want to
> > have a nice development environment. If you find mistakes, please report it
> > to me. If you think I'm missing commonly used tools or some idiomatic uses
> > of Emacs, please tell me.

> That's quite an effort. Are you aware of the tutorial? `M-x help-with-tutorial`

+10

Good work -- thanks for the efforts!

How do you make the animated gifs?

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16 14:49     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-06-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: emacs

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 16, 2014 7:04:10 PM UTC+5:30, Tim Visher wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Tu Do  wrote:
>> > I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
>> > Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
>> > a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
>> > This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
>> > fully.
>> > I hope it will be useful for new people switching to Ubuntu and want to
>> > have a nice development environment. If you find mistakes, please report it
>> > to me. If you think I'm missing commonly used tools or some idiomatic uses
>> > of Emacs, please tell me.
>
>> That's quite an effort. Are you aware of the tutorial? `M-x help-with-tutorial`
>
> +10
>
> Good work -- thanks for the efforts!
>
> How do you make the animated gifs?

LICEcap is one tool that does it.

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.3750.1402925697.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-16 15:14 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.3754.1402931683.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tu Do; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tu Do <tuhdo1710@gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
> Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
> a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
> This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
> fully.

This looks nice -- the Org-mode unicorn in the bottom right corner is
a bit confusing though, can you remove it?  (Otherwise, no problem of
course to reuse Worg's CSS.)

Thanks for writing this,

--
 Bastien

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16 15:51     ` tuhdo1710
From: tuhdo1710 @ 2014-06-16 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, June 16, 2014 9:26:41 PM UTC+7, Rusi wrote:
> On Monday, June 16, 2014 7:04:10 PM UTC+5:30, Tim Visher wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Tu Do  wrote:
>
> > > I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
>
> > > Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
>
> > > a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
>
> > > This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
>
> > > fully.
>
> > > I hope it will be useful for new people switching to Ubuntu and want to
>
> > > have a nice development environment. If you find mistakes, please report it
>
> > > to me. If you think I'm missing commonly used tools or some idiomatic uses
>
> > > of Emacs, please tell me.
>

> > That's quite an effort. Are you aware of the tutorial? `M-x help-with-tutorial`
>

> +10
>

> Good work -- thanks for the efforts!
>

> How do you make the animated gifs?

Thanks. Glad you like it.

I made the GIFs using byzanz-record: http://askubuntu.com/a/123515/13847

@ 2014-06-16 15:55   ` tuhdo1710
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3786.1402956500.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tuhdo1710 @ 2014-06-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, June 16, 2014 10:14:25 PM UTC+7, Bastien wrote:
> Tu Do <tuhdo1710@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I wrote an Emacs Mini Manual for complete beginners to be productive with
>
> > Emacs common tools without having to look all over the manual. It provides
>
> > a starting point before reading the full Emacs manual. Folow this link: Why
>
> > This Guide? <http://tuhdo.github.io/emacs-tutor.html#sec-2> to read it
>
> > fully.
>

> This looks nice -- the Org-mode unicorn in the bottom right corner is
>
> a bit confusing though, can you remove it?  (Otherwise, no problem of
>
> course to reuse Worg's CSS.)
>

> Thanks for writing this,
>

> --
>
>  Bastien

Sure, I will try to find a way to remove it.

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3754.1402931683.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-16 18:11 ` MBR
       [not found] ` <mailman.3768.1402942300.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: MBR @ 2014-06-16 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tu Do, help-gnu-emacs

Good work!

I'd like to say something about the section ""I don't want a complicated
'editor', I want something simple like Notepad(++)" in which you talk
about IDEs.  When I started using Emacs (after about 10 years of using
vi), I immediately noticed that Emacs was very different from any other
editor I'd ever worked with.  With all other editors, I'd use them for
editing text and do everything else from a shell prompt.

But once I started using Emacs I started telling people, "Emacs isn't an
editor, it's a way of life!"  What I meant by that was that I found I
was starting up a single instance of Emacs in the morning, and virtually
everything I did the rest of the day was done inside Emacs.  If I needed
to run a shell command, I'd do that inside an Emacs shell buffer because
that way the command's output was automatically captured in the buffer
and I could then use it like any other text - comparing it to other
things with compare-window, searching for regular expressions in the
output, saving some interesting portion of the output by simply copying
it to a file, etc., etc.

Besides being able to run a shell inside the "editor", you could run
your compiler and linker straight from Emacs and have it parse and
highlight any errors; you could debug your code inside Emacs with gdb
and later gud, and have many added benefits over running gdb directly
from the shell.  One of those benefits is having it show you the source
code, including a pointer showing what line of code you're about to execute.

The bottom line is that Emacs actually is an IDE, not merely a text
editor.  It just happens to be an IDE that works on a dumb terminal. As
a matter of fact, it's the original IDE! It existed before any of the
GUI-style IDEs existed, and many features commonly found in IDEs were
copied from Emacs.

So, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize at the beginning of your Mini Manual
that Emacs should not be thought of as an editor.  It is a software
development environment with powerful text editing capabilities.  And
it's much more than even that!

    Mark Rosenthal

@ 2014-06-16 19:27   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-06-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.3768.1402942300.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> wrote:

> So, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize at the beginning of your Mini Manual
> that Emacs should not be thought of as an editor.  It is a software
> development environment with powerful text editing capabilities.  And
> it's much more than even that!

There's a section at the end that discusses this. It's not clear that it
needs to be emphasized at the beginning, before motivating it with an
explanation of how to use Emacs in the first place.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-16 22:08     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3786.1402956500.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-16 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhdo1710; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

tuhdo1710@gmail.com writes:

> Sure, I will try to find a way to remove it.

You need to remove this line

  background-image: url(http://orgmode.org/img/org-mode-unicorn-logo-worg.png);

from this file

  http://tuhdo.github.io/static/worg.css

Hope this helps,

--
 Bastien

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-17  2:33       ` Tu Do
From: Tu Do @ 2014-06-17  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs

Thanks Bastien,

I thought it was made from CSS, so I haven't looked at it until I have
time. The unicorn is removed now.

@ 2014-06-17  2:37   ` Tu Do
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3803.1402972638.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tu Do @ 2014-06-17  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MBR; +Cc: emacs

Well, I did in the section "Why Emacs?" at the beginning, emphasized that
Emacs is not a mere editor but a programming platform and has relation to
Lisp Machine. However, someone said that is not good for beginners to put
non-starter stuffs there. So I moved it to the appendix.

@ 2014-06-17  3:00     ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-06-17  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:07:12 AM UTC+5:30, Tu Do wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM, MBR wrote:

> >  Good work!
> > I'd like to say something about the section ""I don't want a complicated
> > 'editor', I want something simple like Notepad(++)" in which you talk about
> > IDEs.  When I started using Emacs (after about 10 years of using vi), I
> > immediately noticed that Emacs was very different from any other editor I'd
> > ever worked with.  With all other editors, I'd use them for editing text
> > and do everything else from a shell prompt.

> Well, I did in the section "Why Emacs?" at the beginning, emphasized that
> Emacs is not a mere editor but a programming platform and has relation to
> Lisp Machine. However, someone said that is not good for beginners to put
> non-starter stuffs there. So I moved it to the appendix.

I think thats a good choice.  In my 20+ years of using emacs and
convincing others (mostly unsuccessfully) to use it Ive found that
showing emacs' power is usually a put-off more than an attraction.

People say: «Look I ONLY want to do "..."! Why all this "..." »

रुसि [Just to make GG behave itself!]

@ 2014-06-17  3:59   ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2014-06-17  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MBR; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Tu Do

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:11 AM, MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> wrote:

> So, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize at the beginning of your Mini Manual that
> Emacs should not be thought of as an editor.  It is a software development
> environment with powerful text editing capabilities.

It’s more than that — it’s a software development environment
development environment, and sometimes even a software (development
environment)^3 :)

@ 2014-06-17  5:55       ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-06-17  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:38:05 AM UTC+5:30, Bastien wrote:
> Tu Do writes:

> > Sure, I will try to find a way to remove it.

> You need to remove this line

>   background-image: url(http://orgmode.org/img/org-mode-unicorn-logo-worg.png);

> from this file

>   http://tuhdo.github.io/static/worg.css

> Hope this helps,

And of course it would be neat to put a note somewhere (at end maybe?)
saying that:

viz. that the nifty auto appear/hide contents etc comes from org
mode's css.

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-17  7:02         ` solidius4747
From: solidius4747 @ 2014-06-17  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vào 12:55:47 UTC+7 Thứ ba, ngày 17 tháng sáu năm 2014, Rusi đã viết:
> On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:38:05 AM UTC+5:30, Bastien wrote:
>
> > Tu Do writes:
>

> > > Sure, I will try to find a way to remove it.
>

> > You need to remove this line
>

> >   background-image: url(http://orgmode.org/img/org-mode-unicorn-logo-worg.png);
>

> > from this file
>

> >   http://tuhdo.github.io/static/worg.css
>

> > Hope this helps,
>

> And of course it would be neat to put a note somewhere (at end maybe?)
>
> saying that:
>

> viz. that the nifty auto appear/hide contents etc comes from org
>
> mode's css.

I did put in Conclusion part. Or maybe you meant at the very bottom of the page? I remember there is a feature to append thing at the bottom when publish to HTML from Org files. I will find it out.

* Re: I wrote a mini manual for Emacs
@ 2014-06-17 17:05           ` solidius4747
From: solidius4747 @ 2014-06-17 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I add more content and move the section for browsing Linux kernel to the end of the guide. I think it will be clearer after people master basic concpets. I turned the demo (with the purpose of impressing people with Emacs) into a project, so people can put together the concepts they learned for practical things like large source code management. Probably it would be more useful if many "Projects" like this are added.

I will think more about this.