Message: 15 > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 20:03:01 +0100 > From: Óscar Fuentes > To: emacs-devel@gnu.org > Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode > Message-ID: <87r1lmjul6.fsf@telefonica.net> > Content-Type: text/plain > > writes: > > > Nobody uses M-x in an explorative way? > > > > IMO this is a bad idea for discoverability. What is (and what is not) > > relevant to a mode is necessarily subject to a judgement call by > > someone. > > > > Some thought needs to go into how give users a way to escape that > > confinement, I think. > > I do use M-x in an explorative way all the time. I was the proponent of > the M-x filter when this was discussed a few years ago. > > I don't want to see a zillion of irrelevant commands when I'm fishing > for interesting things on a given context. > > This is about leaving out commands which only make sense when certain > minor or major mode is active. I can't see how this would hamper > learning by exploration. > > There has to be a middle way... Sometimes. when I'm hacking on Emacs Lisp, I need to remember the exact name of a function (for another major mode) and the unfiltered M-x is a nice way of doing that. You know the approx name and M-x -TAB is a quick and convenient way of finding out... Although -f is an alternative, my fingers yearn for M-x. Maybe I'll need to "reprogram them" ;-) but I'd better not Best, /PA