Hi, well, I was on the old linum package and now that emacs26 is widely available and I started to get a weird behaviour on emacs27, the time seemed to have come to move on to display-line-numbers. One of the things I'm only to used to change is that the line number field has a fixed width (ie it doesn't depend on the lines being displayed). And going through the manual, it was not obvious at all how to do that. s/fix the width/set the width/g And let me think how to reword the 'display correctly' sentence Best, /PA On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 10:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez > > Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 07:30:49 +0200 > > > > I recently had to migrate to display-line-numbers-mode. It was hard to > find what I wanted in the manual at > > first glance, which was how to set the width of the line numbers to > fixed width. It was somehow buried in a > > paragraph along with other succinct explanations for other variables. > > > > Here is a proposal to highlight the variable in the manual > > > > diff --git a/doc/emacs/display.texi b/doc/emacs/display.texi > > index a4040d9..ee76e77 100644 > > --- a/doc/emacs/display.texi > > +++ b/doc/emacs/display.texi > > @@ -1882,6 +1882,12 @@ Display Custom > > non-@code{nil}. It has no effect when set to zero, or when line > > numbers are not absolute. > > > > +@vindex display-line-numbers-width > > +Set the value of @code{display-line-numbers-width} to fix the width > > +of the line number. Make sure it is large enough for the largest files > > +you expect to edit (e.g. @code{4} would allow up to @code{9999} lines > > +to be displayed correctly) > > Thanks. However, I don't understand the motivation well enough to > judge the patch, or to propose some different text to take care of > this issue. You say "to fix the width" and "to be displayed > correctly", and that hints on, or could be interpreted as, saying that > the default values yield incorrect display. Which is not what I see > here. > > So please tell what display problems you tried to fix by setting > display-line-numbers-width in your configuration, and what information > you tried to find in the manual about that. > > In any case, you copied the @vindex entry to your text, but left the > original one intact, which would have the effect of having 2 identical > index entries pointing to very close locations in the text, something > that is undesirable. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler