We don't want to change what :pin means, IMHO we need it to obey `package-install-upgrade-built-in`. That wouldn't be incompatible, right? So the sketch that actually loads org from elpa would be (let ((package-install-upgrade-built-in t)) (use-package org :ensure t :pin gnu)) whereas (use-package org :ensure t :pin gnu) would keep the original org packaged with emacs (called with emacs -Q) Best, /PA On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 at 18:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Philip Kaludercic > > Cc: Andrea Corallo , paaguti@gmail.com, > > 71356@debbugs.gnu.org > > Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 15:40:58 +0000 > > > > >> > To me :pin would make perfect sense, as it explicitly expresses what > > >> > archive we want to follow for package upgrades. > > >> > > >> +1, also use-package interface is very declarative and I'm not sure > > >> having it influenced by a dynamic var would match user expected > > >> behavior. > > > > > > If you prefer, we could add a new :foo keyword to mean this. But > > > unconditionally changing what :pin means in these cases is out of the > > > question. > > > > We wouldn't change what :pin means directly, but just have > > package-install respect `package-pinned-packages'. > > How is that different? It's an incompatible change of behavior, and I > cannot agree to that, sorry. > -- Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler Headaches with a Juju log: unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet