Hi Eli, Doesn't this mean that there will be a 'bug' in emacs28 ;-) Just kidding... thanks a lot for the analysis. It was code I found time ago and I had really forgotten how it worked (or didn't work). Now that I(you) have fixed it for fixed-pitch I don't think I'm prepared for a variable pitch font in the mode line yet. I still find it ugly. Best, /PA On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 at 10:03, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez > > Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 08:17:28 +0100 > > > > I'm using the attached code for my mode-line. It's inspired by the doom > mode-line. My last element is > > right-aligned and shows GIT information when relevant. On emacs < 29, > the calculation for the free space > > avoids overlapping with the fringe: > > emacs28-modeline.png > > > > On emacs29, with fixed font using the fix from etc/NEWS, the fringe > overlaps with the vc information. > > emacs29-broken-modeline.png > > Your code says: > > (defun fill-spaces (len) > `((space :align-to (- (+ right right-fringe right-margin) ,len)))) > > This tells Emacs to right-align the string to the place _after_ the > margin and the fringe. If I remove the addition of right-fringe and > right-margin from the :align-to expression, the effect is like you > want. > > So it sounds like Emacs 28 and before had some bug in this area which > was fixed in Emacs 29, and your code needs to adapt by removing the > "fix" you had in previous Emacs versions. > > > Not to speak variable pitch, where I only see the first 1.5 letters or > so (depending on the branch I'm in) > > For variable-pitch font, you need to calculate this in pixels, not in > columns. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler