all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
@ 2023-03-12 12:09 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-03-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Távora; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Joao,

I've been looking at the write-eglot-manual-for-advanced-server-config
branch in savannah and it looks great.
 My .2 cents to it is that would be great if you included something in
the line of

----- cut here -------
You can create a basic eglot configuration to use (by default) in most
of your projects in your Emacs initialisation like below:

  (setq-default eglot-workspace-configuration
                '(:pylsp
                  (:configurationSources ["pycodestyle"]
                   :plugins
                   (:mccabe (:threshold 30)))
                  :gopls
                  (:usePlaceholders t)))

and then use .dir-locals.el for a project or directory that needs
specific settings.
----- cut here -------

That would cover sone newbie questions.

In addition to this, it would also be nice to document a 'canonical'
way to disable/customise the mouse code actions. If I use something,
it's just the import organiser in Python... Disabling it, moving it to
another binding would be great.

TIA, /PA

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should
run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
@ 2023-03-12 19:52 ` João Távora
From: João Távora @ 2023-03-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Joao,
>
> I've been looking at the write-eglot-manual-for-advanced-server-config
> branch in savannah and it looks great.

The documentation update is already commited to emacs-29.

>  My .2 cents to it is that would be great if you included something in
> the line of
>
> ----- cut here -------
> You can create a basic eglot configuration to use (by default) in most
> of your projects in your Emacs initialisation like below:
>
>   (setq-default eglot-workspace-configuration
>                 '(:pylsp
>                   (:configurationSources ["pycodestyle"]

Here, you're using eglot-workspace-configuration, a mechanism intended
for project-specific configuration (5.2 Project-specific
configuration), to effectively do user-specific configuration,
described in (5.1 User-specific configuration).

This indeed works, I've fixed the manual which previously said that
setting the variable globally "doesn't make sense".  It can be useful,
if you know what you're doing.

But I don't know if we should be recommending this over the use of
eglot-server-program + :initializationOptions as described in section
5.1 User-specific configuration.  Will see.

> In addition to this, it would also be nice to document a 'canonical'
> way to disable/customise the mouse code actions. If I use something,
> it's just the import organiser in Python... Disabling it, moving it to
> another binding would be great.

This is an unrelated issue which needs thinking about.  Make a bug
report and describe a reproduction for the problem you've been having.

João