all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: tramp-interactive: a small helper module
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 07:22:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Michael,

Yes, I did all and it wasn't comfortable enough for me. I tend to make an
'Internet-free cure' in the summer and when I returned,
I had parts of my emacs configuration I didn't remember what exactly they
did (tramp config among them).
I had been experimenting with the flexibility of (interactive) before the
break and I decided to go that way (instead of RTFM,
I'm an engineer by education ;-) ), because I find it clean and cool. And I
came up with this way of doing things...

But I'll give the 'canonical' tramp configuration a chance, don't worry,
/PA

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 at 18:39, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Michael
>
> Hi Pedro,
>
> > But in a couple of words. I have a list of users I use in VMs and
> > remote machines:
> > -my linux user and 'student' are the two most often used.
> > So when prompted 'user' the default value is the user, but if I type
> > 's' <tab> I get student autocompleted
> > With the host you have the same, I default to 'localhost' for VMs but
> > also have a host called osm12.local (and others).
> > If I put them in the host list I'll be able to press 'o' <tab> and
> > have Emacs autocomplete to osm12.local.
> > Regarding the port number the default for SSH is 22, right? But I can
> > also input the port number for port translated VMs.
>
> I understand the scenario. But I still don't understand why you don't
> configure Tramp's existing file name completion.
>
> First, I assume you use always "ssh" as method. In this case I recommend
> an alternative Tramp file name syntax called `simplified'. Add the
> following in your .emacs:

> (require 'tramp)
> (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")
> (tramp-change-syntax 'simplified)
>
> From now on, you don't need to write "/method:user@host:/path". Instead,
> you
> simply write "/user@host:/path" for a remote file name.
>
> Secondly, tell Tramp which users and hosts you are interested in. By
> default, Tramp scans all config files to determine possible users and
> hosts. But you can give Tramp an own completion function, like this:

> (setq tramp-completion-use-auth-sources nil)
> (defun my-tramp-completion (&rest args)
>   `((,(user-login-name) "localhost") ("student" "localhost")
>     (,(user-login-name) "osm12.local" ("student" "osm12.local"))))
> (tramp-set-completion-function
>  "ssh" '((my-tramp-completion "")))
>
> And now, you can do "C-x C-f /alb TAB" and it expands to "/albinus@",
> which is my user name. A second TAB shows you the possible completions

> 2 possible completions:
> albinus@localhost:
> albinus@osm12.local:
>
> And if you start with "C-x C-f /loc TAB", it expands already to
> "/localhost:".
>
> It doesn't matter how you define your `my-tramp-completion'
> function. I've shown you a fixed list, but the function could also
> create the list dynamically.
>
> If you need ports, you shall add them to the host names, like
> ("student" "localhost#2222")
>
> Play with this :-)
>
> Evertything is explained in the Tramp manual.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet