all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Re: An anonymous IRC user's opinion
@ 2024-10-06  5:31 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-10-06  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Arne writes:
> Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> writes:

>> is that I don't know how it would be developed and what its prototypes
>> would look like...
> On distributions that may mean providing meta-packages which install
> required elpa-packages and are started from a script that prepares a
> $HOME/.emacs.d/ for the specific flavor of Emacs if it does not exist
> already.
>
> Best wishes,
> Arne
> --
> Unpolitisch sein
> heißt politisch sein,
> ohne es zu merken.
> draketo.de

Greetings

Isn't that what some Emacs "impersonations" are doing. You clone a git repo
as your $HOME/.emacs.d and there you are.
Look, for example at https://github.com/doomemacs/doomemacs#install

My .02 €cents, /PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: An anonymous IRC user's opinion
@ 2024-10-06  6:04 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-10-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:

> Isn't that what some Emacs "impersonations" are doing.
> You clone a git repo as your $HOME/.emacs.d and there
> you are.

What do you mean, they are actually us?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: An anonymous IRC user's opinion
@ 2024-10-06  9:06 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2024-10-06  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>> On distributions that may mean providing meta-packages which install
>> required elpa-packages and are started from a script that prepares a
>> $HOME/.emacs.d/ for the specific flavor of Emacs if it does not exist
>> already.
> Isn't that what some Emacs "impersonations" are doing. You clone a git repo as your $HOME/.emacs.d and there you are.
> Look, for example at https://github.com/doomemacs/doomemacs#install

Yes, those are pre-configured settings.

Many already exist, but they are not organized, so most users don’t find
them at the start of their journey, and they don’t necessarily
coordinate to specialize for the task they do themselves.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: An anonymous IRC user's opinion
@ 2024-10-06  9:10   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-10-06  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

>>> On distributions that may mean providing meta-packages
>>> which install required elpa-packages and are started from
>>> a script that prepares a $HOME/.emacs.d/ for the specific
>>> flavor of Emacs if it does not exist already.
>>
>> Isn't that what some Emacs "impersonations" are doing.
>> You clone a git repo as your $HOME/.emacs.d and there you
>> are. Look, for example at
>> https://github.com/doomemacs/doomemacs#install
>
> Yes, those are pre-configured settings.
>
> Many already exist, but they are not organized, so most
> users don't find them at the start of their journey, and
> they don't necessarily coordinate to specialize for the task
> they do themselves.

We must formulate a theory regarding this and then adopt
a policy which uses the same terminology :)

--

@ 2024-10-06 10:31   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-10-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-devel

Good point. A bit of organizing would help ;-)

Enviado desde mi iPhone

@ 2024-10-07 21:17     ` John ff
From: John ff @ 2024-10-07 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide,
	Barra Ó Catháin via Emacs development discussions.

⁣​

@ 2024-10-13  3:29   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-10-13  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-devel

Does each of the variant Emacs vesions, such as Spacemavcs and Doom,
customize a set of options ab initio, regardless of what sort of
of text you are editing?

If so, I have an idea for how Emacs could help a user try each of those
ccllections of customizations.