HI, > you are > less likely to mix up the buffer text with the line number indication > when scanning quickly, and it is easier to see which line you are on > with a subtle color difference on the line number. That's the intent. I need to review YAML and Python often and knowing exactly where the buffer starts is crucial. Best, /PA On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 at 22:49, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > > I don't think we should change defaults of the faces because someone > > prefers to have them look differently. Faces can be easily > > customized, so people who don't like the defaults can have the faces > > they like very easily. > > Me neither. I think they should change if the new proposal is better. > I'm personally not married to it as I only use display-line-numbers-mode > occasionally (and can indeed customize it locally), but I think it's a > good idea. In particular, I like the functional aspect of it: you are > less likely to mix up the buffer text with the line number indication > when scanning quickly, and it is easier to see which line you are on > with a subtle color difference on the line number. > > Perhaps it could make sense to ask people on emacs-devel or maybe even > do one of our never criticized 30 days experiment on master to give > people a feel for the change before deciding anything. > -- Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden, Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden Georg Kreisler