On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 7:03 PM Richard Stallman wrote: > [...] > I think that some of Emacs's web browsing facilities include > Javascript execution. (Is this correct?) > None of the web browsers I've seen for emacs support javascript execution, and it would be a difficult thing to add. At a guess, the easiest method would involve emacs running (or communicating with) an existing browser and interrogating the results, very roughly along the same lines as CIDER or SLIME bring clojure or common lisp execution into emacs. Note that it's _much_ easier to bring simple javascript execution into emacs -- there are cli/repl-style javascript interpreters available for such tasks. They don't have access to the other core parts of the _web browsing_ facilities, in particular the DOM (Document Object Model) that contains the structure of the material to be browsed, nor the CSS facilities for styling same. In short: the path the "modern web" took to get to interactive "rich" documents on the web ended up very strongly tied to a particular underlying representation of the content, including how it is loaded, displayed, styled, and updated. Those pieces are far more theoretically distinct than actually composable. ~Chad