On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 9:51 PM Richard Stallman wrote: > > The more different keys have a special meaning after a repeating > command, the more they will get in the way. The more things there > will be to worry about. > This sounds like a potential case of a general impression conflicting with specific experience. What would I want to do after switching windows? Insert a period or a > comma, perhaps. Why wouldn't it be that? > You can look at your own usage after C-x o (even more telling for people who aren't using the mouse or mostly dedicated frames) with view-lossage or via dribble file, but for me, the answer is "because the cursor is hardly ever in the right spot", even though I do use save-place. I would hazard a guess that wanting to immediately insert a period or comma is roughly the same order of commonality as wanting to insert an 'o' (or 'O'). For me, the more interesting transient-repeat opportunity is C-x ^ for enlarge-window, which I nearly always followed with cursor movement, recentering, or scrolling commands (and never with period, comma, or caret), but that's from a relatively small sample, because I've been using a custom function to adjust window sizes for the past 20 years or so. Hope that helps, ~Chad