2016-01-08 10:17 GMT+01:00 Eli Zaretskii : > > From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer > > Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 00:31:38 +0100 > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > - I want at some point to write an incremental backup utility > > that uses md5sum to identify renamed files. Since precompiled > > Windows binaries are 32bit, only the first 512MB of any given > > file are accessible to elisp however, so I wanted to use > > GnuWin32's md5sum.exe (but it turns out that it doesn't > > support unicode filenames anyway). > > Emacs 25 can be built --with-wide-int, in which case the 512MB limit > goes up to almost 2GB. I believe the precomiled binaries of the next > version will use this configure-time option. So maybe this is still a > relevant alternative for you. > > > - I want to verify a convention where filenames should mirror > > the metadata in my music library. Here I intended to write > > an elisp tool (for easy interactive processing im Emacs) > > and tried to use ffmpeg (which does support unicode filenames > > in cmd.exe). > > You could have Emacs write a batch file that invokes ffmpeg with those > Unicode file names (encoded in UTF-16, of course, not UTF-8!), and > then run the batch file as the sub-process. Will that work for you? > ​It will, though I'll probably stick with the pipe version where it's possible. It is the more portable solution (in case that I use the script on a linux system). ​ > > > I checked and both tools allow reading the input data from > > a pipe (`type UNICODE.mp3 | ffmpeg -i - ...` or `md5sum` > > respectively), so that workaround is applicable to all my usecases. > > Yes, that's another possibility. >