all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-09 12:08 Jonathon McKitrick
From: Jonathon McKitrick @ 2017-06-09 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had everything working perfectly, then tried to merge some changes from my work machine config to home. And while ido-ubiquitous (and vertical) was working perfectly everywhere before, when I go to open a bookmark, I see the old display, with options like {foo|bar} rather than the vertical, color highlighted list where the most recent match appears first.

But everywhere else I have ido on, it's working fine.

Any ideas on how to diagnose?

* Re: ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-09 18:02 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2017-06-09 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Jonathon McKitrick

Hi Jonathon,

Jonathon McKitrick <jmckitrick@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had everything working perfectly, then tried to merge some changes
> from my work machine config to home. And while ido-ubiquitous (and
> vertical) was working perfectly everywhere before, when I go to open a
> bookmark, I see the old display, with options like {foo|bar} rather
> than the vertical, color highlighted list where the most recent match
> appears first.
>
> But everywhere else I have ido on, it's working fine.
>
> Any ideas on how to diagnose?

My Emacs doesn't have a command `find-bookmark' and I wasn't able to
find one online with a quick Google. Can you confirm what command you're
executing that exhibits this issue and what package provides it?

You can check by typing "C-h k" (without the quotes of course) followed
by the keys you use to invoke the command.

        John

* Re: ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-10 18:56   ` jmckitrick
From: jmckitrick @ 2017-06-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mastro, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

My mistake!

the command is `bookmark-jump`, usually bound to C-x r b

--
Jonathon McKitrick

* Re: ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-10 19:34     ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2017-06-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Jonathon McKitrick

<jmckitrick@gmail.com> wrote:
> the command is `bookmark-jump`, usually bound to C-x r b

I also use ido-ubiquitous and ido-vertical, but I don't get ido
completion from `bookmark-jump' at all unless I set
`ido-cr+-force-on-functional-collection' to non-nil. If I do set that,
then I get vertical ido completion.

Do you have that variable set?

The only thing I can think of is if ido-ubiquitous is falling back to
another completion package (icomplete perhaps?).

        John

* Re: ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-10 20:02       ` jmckitrick
From: jmckitrick @ 2017-06-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mastro, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

If I set `ido-cr+-force-on-functional-collection' to non-nil, I get the
result I want, like you said. But that value is not set anywhere in my
setup.
I am also using icomplete-mode. That's the mode that's giving me the
{FOO|BAR} style completion. If I disable that, it's vanilla emacs
completion choices.

But I cannot figure out why my work machine works the way I want, and my
home setup does not.

--
Jonathon McKitrick

* Re: ido-ubiquitous working everywhere EXCEPT find-bookmark
@ 2017-06-10 20:18         ` jmckitrick
From: jmckitrick @ 2017-06-10 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mastro, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Aha!

My work machine uses melpa-stable, and my home machine uses melpa. So the
older version does not have the variable in question. I expect once that
version of ido-ubiquitous is 'stable' I'll get the same behavior at work as
well.

Which leads to the next 2 questions:

1. How can I force the preferred behavior the correct way?
2. Barring that, how can I make emacs complete bookmarks in
most-recently-used order first?

--
Jonathon McKitrick