I agree with Eli Zaretskii, after some further investigation I've narrowed it down to an issue with the arch packaging that does not exist in other non arch-based distributions. I reported the issue in https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68499, and I hope this will be resolved by the package maintainer. Again sorry for wasting your time and thank you both for the swift responses. On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 5:34 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Reuben Thomas > > Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 22:23:44 +0000 > > Cc: dinkonin , 44318@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > I think Enchant is correct to generate the errors, as it shows that it > has been mis-installed. I looked at the > > Arch package, and it depends on libvoikko, so I'm surprised you're > getting these errors in the first place. > > > > However, I think Emacs should be able (like other Enchant-using > programs) to cope with this problem, > > particularly as all it should have to do is ignore stderr. > > > > I think this can be achieved by changing the definition of > ispell--call-enchant-lsmod to: > > Thanks, but I'm not interested in working around installation problems > of programs we invoke. It's a slippery slope, with never-ending > additional requests we will have to honor. >