On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > Some specifics: > > Thanks Florian, this list is very helpful. Just one comment: > > > - Indeed, it seems the documentation is in the wrong order: from a > user's > > perspective, advice-add is what she usually wants and add-function > > is a special case. > > Actually, add-function is likely to become more common with new hooks > using a `*-function' variable modified via add-function rather than > a `*-functions' modified via add-hook. Somewhat relatedly, would you consider renaming advice-add to add-advice (naturally with an alias for backward compatibility)? It's easier to discover related functionality through tab completion, apropos, etc. when its names share a common structure. For example if I was looking for basename functionality and I knew about file-name-directory, `C-h f file-name- TAB' would lead me to `file-name-nondirectory' straightaway.