all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Initialization
@ 2021-07-11 23:16 Steve A Branch
From: Steve A Branch @ 2021-07-11 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Gnu Emacs Helpers,

First of all, thank you for providing my go-to editor for the past (I
think) 40  years.  I have so much invested in emacs that I just cannot
get started with another editor.  So, great job.

I have a confusing problem that I have encountered since starting to
learn how to code in Python 3.  I want my emacs window to initialize
itself using my ~/.emacs.d/init.el initialization file.  I have enclosed
it for your information.

The problem I am experiencing is that frequently the emacs window opens
smaller than I expect.  I can exit emacs and try it several more times,
and it will eventually initialize properly.  I'm confused about what is
happening.  I hope you can give me some advice on how to get emacs to
initialize properly each time in invoke it.

I have been using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for a couple years,  and I start
emacs using a link on the left-hand side of my monitor.

Also, you can probably tell from my init.el file that I have very little
idea how to write the initialization file.  I'm hoping you can direct me
to some information on how to get that done.

Thanks for your help.<!-- This is the title line from the signature
file, (~/mail/signature.html). -->

Thank you,
*Steve Branch*
/216.848.0499/
/BlindStevie@mail.com/
/2584 Charney Road/
/University Heights, OH 44118-4403/

c isn't just a good idea, it's the *law*!

[-- Attachment #2: init.el --]
[-- Type: text/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 2300 bytes --]

;; -*-emacs-Lisp-*-
; This is a lisp comment line.

; Some of this information was found at
; http://emacsblog.org/2007/04/09/highlight-the-current-line/.

; Prior to executing init.el, emacs executes /etc/emacs/site-start.el.
; The emacs installation directory is /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.

; Do not display the splash screen on startup.  Note: This will allow
; default-directory to be ~/.
(customize-set-variable 'inhibit-startup-screen t)

(setq default-directory (concat (getenv "HOME") "/"))

(set-language-environment "UTF-8")
(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)

;; M-x list-colors-display
(set-background-color "honeydew")
; (set-background-color "cornsilk")
(electric-pair-mode t)
; (set-face-background 'hl-line "misty rose")
(show-paren-mode t)
(global-auto-revert-mode t)
(savehist-mode t)
(blink-cursor-mode t)

; Make searches case sensitive.
(setq-default case-fold-search nil)
(setq visible-bell t)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)
(put 'narrow-to-region 'disabled nil)
(setq doc-view-conversion-refresh-interval t)
(setq doc-view-continuous t)
(setq-default fill-column 60)

; Window frame parameters were researched at
; https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/
; Window-Frame-Parameters.html#Window-Frame-Parameters.
(setq default-frame-alist
      '((top . 0.03) (left . 0.69)
        (width . 100) (height . 65)
        (user-position t) (user-size t)
        ))

; Request column and line numbers on the mode line.
(line-number-mode t)
(column-number-mode t)

; Request the current line be highlighted.
(global-hl-line-mode t)
(set-face-background hl-line-face "misty rose")

; Request removal of whitespace prior to saving.
(add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)

; Set my email address.
(setq user-mail-address "BlindStevie@mail.com")
(customize-set-variable 'user-mail-address "BlindStevie@mail.com")

; Use a clipboard.
; (customize-set-variable 'x-select-enable-clipbboard t)
; Display time on mode line.
; (display-time-mode t)

;; Mouse
(global-set-key [mouse-3] 'imenu)

;; And we return.
(message "Emacs has been initialized, %s%s" (user-login-name) ".")

;; Set the default font.
(custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "Ubuntu Mono" :foundry "DAMA"
 :slant normal :weight normal :height 128 :width normal)))))

* Re: Emacs Initialization
@ 2021-07-12 15:52 ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2021-07-12 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve A Branch; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

> I have a confusing problem that I have encountered since starting to
> learn how to code in Python 3.  I want my emacs window to initialize
> itself using my ~/.emacs.d/init.el initialization file.  I have enclosed
> it for your information.

Steve,

A few questions:

* You mention Python 3, but I see nothing in the init file you posted
which looks Python-related.

* I don't think you need to set default-drectory. It's buffer local
and will be set no matter what you're editing. Can you explain why you
do?

* You mentioned that it takes several starts to get the initial window
to open at the desired height.

   - Does the "initialized" message always display even when the
initial window height isn't correct?

   - Is it possible your window manager and other open windows are
conspiring to limit your initial window dimensions?

Skip

* Re: Emacs Initialization
@ 2021-07-12 23:16 ` Felix Dietrich
From: Felix Dietrich @ 2021-07-12 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve A Branch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Steve A Branch <BlindStevie@mail.com> writes:

> I have a confusing problem that I have encountered since starting to
> learn how to code in Python 3.  I want my emacs window to initialize
> itself using my ~/.emacs.d/init.el initialization file.  I have enclosed
> it for your information.
>
> The problem I am experiencing is that frequently the emacs window opens
> smaller than I expect.  I can exit emacs and try it several more times,
> and it will eventually initialize properly.  I'm confused about what is
> happening.  I hope you can give me some advice on how to get emacs to
> initialize properly each time in invoke it.

Try putting the frame configuration in the early init file, either
“~/.config/emacs/early-init.el” or “~/.emacs.d/early-init.el”.  See also
(info "(emacs) Early Init File") [1]: “[the early init] file is loaded before the
package system and GUI is initialized, so in it you can customize
variables that affect frame appearance […]”.

[1] <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Early-Init-File.html>
--
Felix Dietrich

* Re: Emacs Initialization
@ 2021-07-20 19:52   ` Steve A Branch
From: Steve A Branch @ 2021-07-20 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dietrich; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Skip and Felix,

The addition of the early-init.el  seems to have solved the timing
problem.  Thank you very much for your help.  I appreciate it very much.

I would like to become much more proficient with the initialization of
emacs.  Is there some reading you can suggest?

Thanks,

Steve

@ 2021-07-20 21:09     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-20 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steve A Branch wrote:

> The addition of the early-init.el  seems to have solved the
> timing problem.  Thank you very much for your help.
> I appreciate it very much.
>
> I would like to become much more proficient with the
> initialization of emacs.  Is there some reading you
> can suggest?

Both the Emacs and Elisp manuals come to mind:

  (info "(elisp) Startup Summary")

  (info "(elisp) Init File")

  (info "(emacs) Init File")

  (info "(emacs) Initial Options")